The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
112,000 miles all original injectors.

Hello, I am new to the forum and can't seem to find anything matching my issue. A few weeks ago while on vacation my truck lost all power and seemed to be typical injector loss. Ran buzz test and contribution test finding #8 injector failing contribution and passing buzz. Replaced #8 and the truck started only to find #6 had gone out either before or after the #8 replacement. Just today I finally got to #6 replaced it and everything seemed great. All power returned with a perfect smooth idle. Well after driving for an hour or so I felt another injector go out. Felt the slight shutter and minor lag in throttle. Hook the reader back up and got cylinder 4 contribution code. So #8 then #6 and now #4. Has anyone experienced this? Just wondering if it's just the old injectors wearing out or what.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Its completely possible, I had a similar experience, and after doing 3 individually bit the bullet and replaced the other 3 at the same time. Although my truck had twice the miles on it.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I suggest you check your FICM & fuel pressure before changing any more injectors.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Typical injector life is 100-150k, and you're right in that window. I think you are experiencing typical injector die off. This is why I always advise when one injector goes bad replace at least all 4 on that bank because it saves you having to open up that side again.

However, I'd be remiss if I didn't agree with Phil G. Definitely check fuel pressure and the FICM (not just a voltage test, this isn't definitive).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I replaced the whole bank and the fuel pressure regulator. So far so good truck is running great. I knew it wasn't the FICM from the get go but thanks for the advice

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Typically when FICMs go bad you start getting codes. Usually injector related codes, which is funny because I've yet to see a bad injector set an injector code. Instead you get an unstable idle and a miss during cruising. So likely your FICM is fine. Hopefully those injectors solved your issue. I'd save up for the injectors on the other bank though. When one goes the others are typically not far behind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts