The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck was running and starting just fine the other day and it was due for oil and fuel filter change. I changed the fuel filters using the Motorcraft FD4616 filters like normal. I cycled the key 3 or 4 times like normal to pump fuel back up to secondary bowl. When I went to start it I noticed it started real sluggish like it was building fuel pressure but after a few seconds it was fine. I drove it a few days and all was good until the other morning I went to start it and it was about 48 degrees out so it cycled the key a few times and let the glow plugs warm up and it started sluggish again until it built up pressure. I can shut the truck off and go back out an hour later and pull the secondary filter cap off and the bowl is empty. If I turn the key on and let the fuel pump run until it shuts off, the truck starts like normal. The strange thing is once it starts, it runs perfectly fine and has good power. I have pulled both filters back out and checked them for placement and everything looks normal. Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem I hope u get it fixed fast , mine is goin to run me 5700.00 to replace fuel system and ford wants to charge me 10,000.00 I told them hell no !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
When I removed the cap on my secondary fuel filter, the level used to drop. I changed out the standpipe and it doesn't do that anymore.

Personally, I think you need a scan tool that reads codes and engine parameters. You quite possibly have something else going on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Possibilities:

Return / leak ---- (those fuel tank to HFCM lines are "one finger" disconnects and the return may have gotten bumped when you did the lower filter)

O-Ring on secondary (or a crack if over-tightened)--- use lube to roll the o-ring up into the "o-ring gap space", then tighten 18 ft lbs

Dislodged contamination/ recurrent air pocket

Six to Seven Key On / Key Offs (with 20-30 second interval between)

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
My truck was running and starting just fine the other day and it was due for oil and fuel filter change. I changed the fuel filters using the Motorcraft FD4616 filters like normal. I cycled the key 3 or 4 times like normal to pump fuel back up to secondary bowl. When I went to start it I noticed it started real sluggish like it was building fuel pressure but after a few seconds it was fine. I drove it a few days and all was good until the other morning I went to start it and it was about 48 degrees out so it cycled the key a few times and let the glow plugs warm up and it started sluggish again until it built up pressure. I can shut the truck off and go back out an hour later and pull the secondary filter cap off and the bowl is empty. If I turn the key on and let the fuel pump run until it shuts off, the truck starts like normal. The strange thing is once it starts, it runs perfectly fine and has good power. I have pulled both filters back out and checked them for placement and everything looks normal. Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

#1 problem I see when a customer comes in with this scenario is the primary filter cap is not screwed in all of the way, even a 2mm gap between the cap and the pump body will be problematic. The filter element has a point inside that opens the fuel pump inlet valve when fully seated and it MUST be fully seated and it does not open the pump inlet until that last bit. I have even seen instances like yours where its good then it's not. If this is the case here and you are having difficulty tightening the primary filter cap I recommend removing it and lubricate the o-ring and the pump body where the o-ring seats with CLEAN ENGINE OIL not grease or diesel fuel and reassemble. The cap will screw in much easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts