The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
alverez_8: thank you very much.

GreatWhite: it was a sickness I developed over the years, no support groups for it that I could find so it just kept progressing. I think I have it in remission for the time being though...

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sorry dieselnick, I missed checking this thread somehow. Thank you very much for the comments. The system sounds great in the driveway while it waits for an engine :(

But I will enjoy it once the truck is back up and running so it's all good...

The larger 10.1" multitouch screen was in the works for this spring but I guess it has to run first

Cheers

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

·
Registered
953 Posts
No, actually $#@%&%#@$ are very bad words, too foul to post online, but they are the knee jerk reaction words that automatically pop out when seeing something unbelievably incredible.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF JESUS. Man, you are far more ambitious then I am. Thats an incredible setup. You should sell the plans to that mid box

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
hahaha...plans?....umm, where did I put those plans....

It was kind of scary how little I had on paper for this, it just kind of happened with a few rough dimensions and a bit of flying by the seat of my pants.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Ok Phil, I just spotted more work evident in your pictures than is even discussed in this thread. It appears that you have smoothed and painted your wiper cowl, wiper arms, mirror arms, and mirror mounting base. Are my eyes deceiving me or is this true?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Guilty as charged, I've done that to my last 3 trucks. As soon as I get them, the mirrors, door handles, wiper cowling, wiper arms, rear tags light bezels, and any unpainted plastic on the front bumper comes off and goes to Ford for color match paint. What I'm most amazed at it how well the paint stands up on the mirror arms over the years of bugs rocks, and a lot of highway miles etc. The biggest issue now is ironically the chrome covers are pitted and dull and look more tired than the paint...who would have thought?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Big difference between real metal chrome, versus plastichrome coating used today.

OK Phil, I sent my recon drone over to have a closer look at all your paintings, but the Canadian border patrol shot it down before reaching target. So, since this IS still your thread, and your "worklog"... and since the paint is part of your work, can you post some pics of the parts you had painted?

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
NYB, I'm sure you can get a litre of paint and a soft bristled brush and give your mirrors ago, remember to heat (in the oven) the paint before re-coating ,I'm sure Nick could help you out there!:lol:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Sorry NYB...I asked them to stop shooting those things down but you know...Too much Tim Horton's coffee & donuts..they get kinda jittery.

This was my '04 so you can see the look of it on the 04 and older bumper and see mirrors without the chrome covers. These covers were not the smooth paint to match form the Ex. They were the pebbled black ones and the dealer did sand them a bit but they still had a bit of the pebbled finish after paint. Still looked great IMO. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I had the grille insert done as well and even the Wilson CB antenna coils, yes...yes I am anal about detail, I already admitted in an earlier post that it's a sickness. This truck was a little more work due to the 2 tone, they had to shoot the running boards and lower front plastic in the tan. I didn't do the wiper arms on this one.

This is the result of removing the clear coat then enlisting one of the kids as slave labor for a few hours to sand each rim. Then they were machine polished. Can't run these in the winter though, it's bare aluminum...

'07 pics to follow...

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Here is the '07:

A decent shot of the mirror arms and lower front valence:

Wiper arms & wiper valance:

I also added stainless steel to the rear windows, I love this for all the night driving. Cheap mis-aimed aftermarket HIDS or blue bulbs don't stay behind me too long at night, the stainless steel bounces back an eyeful of what their crappy lights are doing to my mirrors:

Since I'm being a pic whore today anyways I might as well add this:

If anyone thinks this truck is just a toy for me or questions can the 6.0L work:

This truck and I have been through 100's of 1000's of km working together through some pretty nasty stuff. Some don't understand our attachments to our trucks but if your rely on your truck to bring you home to your family and it does it time after time, it becomes pretty important to you.

Close up of the mirror arm paint you wanted to see, NYB, and the abuse the paint can take. These trips aren't short or slow ones so the paint takes a beating, I'm not doing a lot of these trips now but when I left my driveway with a trailer, it was usually over 1600 km before the weight came off the truck (no torsion bars, I don't have any) and it usually ran at 110km/hr for most of the miles. This particular road is a 150 km of basically a logging road running through central New Brunswick, no salt, just some sand on the hills so the trucks don't spin out. Some times I would get out to take a leak and almost fall on my head as it was a sheet of ice, the truck could still run 60-70 km on the ice with a wagon in tow. You might pass 4 or 5 trucks max in the trip across it, the biggest speed limiter was the Moose. If you should be lucky enough to cross it in a storm, they don't plow until the storm is over so you could end up running in a foot of fresh snow for 100 km+

Result of running in snow for 100's of km's in 4x4 at 100+km/hr. That speed with a Chevy in 4x4 and see where your fluid ends up...
There was no snow on the back of the truck when I left, that's from the draft of the tailgate in the snow at high speed

45' long, no torsion bars, middle of winter, and at highway speed for 1700km.

Yes I know 6.0L have issues but this one and my past trucks all did the job remarkably well for me.

Well...there's a little peak into my world, I guess this post didn't do much to dispel the myth in the south that Canada is just snow and igloos 24/7, did it? :lol:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Wow. Thank you Phil. I'm a little tongue tied at the moment... just the thought of dragging a 45' bumper pull trailer through those conditions wiped me out. I better go take a nap.

The painted wiper cowl, and the matching accent color lower valance on your '04, added a nice finished look to your rig.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Wow Phil, did you just weld a draw bar to your house , that trailer is ginormous, you do a great job dragging that around in those conditions.
Anyone that thinks you just use your gear for pleasure better have another LOOK a that last post .
What does the truck and house weigh in at ?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The painted wiper cowl, and the matching accent color lower valance on your '04, added a nice finished look to your rig.
It really does make a difference, doesn't it? I like that almost OEM look rather than a bunch of "boy racer stuff" stuck all over the truck. I guess I kind of blew the OEM look with the console but I did that because...
,...no I got nothing, I just wanted to try it :icon_lol:

Googs, I think the combined unit grossed around 18K, not that bad really for the size of it.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Oh by the way, here's a video on the capability of the CarPC,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR1NWYg2p0g

This is kind where I am heading with it whenever I can get back to it. I'm not that strong on the software side of it though, I'm more into the hardware installation but I've had pretty good success getting it to do many of the features however there's still a ways to go to get it where I want it.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.