The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we got the truck from a dealership in November and it rode just fine 178k miles and drove like a beauty, well 2 weeks after that is when it started making the popcorn compression like sounds, then the next week it fixed itself, that happened about 3 times and no one knew what the issue could possibly be, well we took it into another shop and they guy said he stuck a camera down the glow plug tube and saw what looked to be a crack in my piston, so the truck has sat since about January because I’ve been scared to move it, everytime I turned it on it would idle with a tiny miss then turn into a loud chopping/stutter, well just today I started it up and it ran perfect, still had the tiny miss but the truck was good, so I took it on some test drives around the area and it did good, well I went to a buddies and on the way back it wouldn’t let me accelerate and popped up “engine power reduced” and the wrench symbol and wouldn’t let me go over 20 so I’m just confused on what could be going on because I’m not an expert in diesels

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Then you should seek an expert. A cracked piston will not present symptoms and go away. The wrench and check engine lights indicate a system malfunction. Have it looked at by someone who knws and is familiar with this engine and has the tools and resources to properly diagnose and repair it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.