The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am hoping someone can help shed some light on this issue. My '08 F350 started making a weird noise and then as I was hauling hay, it started to over heat. I immediately shut it down, added more more coolant once it had cooled and contacted a service center about the overheat issue. I was told that was acceptable given that I haul horses all summer long and to just keep an eye on it. A few days later, it seemed to have issues with the power, it was running rough and then started blowing thick white smoke. Initially thinking it was something as bad as a cracked block, I was given some things to look for, namely, no apparent leaks and there is no oil in my water and no water in my oil. However, when you turn the truck over, when it starts to smoke, it does smell of coolant. In calling the Ford Customer Care, I was informed that my VIN was one of those that had the recall of the PCM on it, but since it had already been done in '09, it was not eligible any longer. Without spending a ton of money on various possibilities, can anyone help point me in the right direction of what to do? Replace the PCM, Replace the EGR valves, Do an EGR Delete Kit...????

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Witn a loss of coolant, and a smell of coolant at the exhaust--I would expect a ruined head gasket or a cracked head. With no oil in coolant/no coolant in oil, probably not an EGR cooler.
And you might need to lose that service center--anyone that says a 6.4L should be expected to overheat hauling horses in the summetime is not worth listening to.
You had this since new?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts