The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just bought my first diesel truck a month ago and I’ve had issues from day 2. Truck went into “Limp Mode” after driving it 70 miles from the dealer lot. Towed into the shop and got a code for oil level high. So they changed the oil cleared the codes and back on the road I go. I get another 150 miles and the truck goes into “Limp Mode” again. I decided to change my oil and got 7 gallons out of it. So we were thinking it must be a clogged DPF so I deleted the DPF and EGR with block off plates and an H&S Mini Maxx programmer. The tune went on perfect running it with the stock tune. Trucks running great and got another 150 miles before “limp mode” again. Drained the oil and got another 7 gallons and now it’s blowing white smoke constantly out of the tail pipe. Right before it goes into “limp mode” it starts to do a loud ticking noise followed by the white smoke. The mechanic is telling me I need a whole new motor. Any ideas out there? I’m so frustrated and confused. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
I'm guessing on the 6.4, but if it was a 7.3 I would have to say injector O rings

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Hi I just bought my first diesel truck a month ago and I’ve had issues from day 2. Truck went into “Limp Mode” after driving it 70 miles from the dealer lot. Towed into the shop and got a code for oil level high. So they changed the oil cleared the codes and back on the road I go. I get another 150 miles and the truck goes into “Limp Mode” again. I decided to change my oil and got 7 gallons out of it. So we were thinking it must be a clogged DPF so I deleted the DPF and EGR with block off plates and an H&S Mini Maxx programmer. The tune went on perfect running it with the stock tune. Trucks running great and got another 150 miles before “limp mode” again. Drained the oil and got another 7 gallons and now it’s blowing white smoke constantly out of the tail pipe. Right before it goes into “limp mode” it starts to do a loud ticking noise followed by the white smoke. The mechanic is telling me I need a whole new motor. Any ideas out there? I’m so frustrated and confused. Thanks
Your oil is grossly fuel diluted. The cause is a leak in the high pressure fuel system. Most commonly the high pressure fuel pump is leaking fuel out from the input shaft and right into the crankcase. Leaks can also occur at the fuel injector inlet fittings and rarely the injector or an o-ring. I would not automatically react and drop an engine in it. Even with all of that fuel in the oil I have yet to see one have a failure due to lubrication as a result. However, with the excessive oil level these engines tend to produce a LOT of oil carryover through the CCV and collect in the charge air cooler which the engine then starts sipping. This condition has been known to cause piston crown melting in certain cylinders. If the engine runs smooth I really would not suspect this at this time. Once repair has been made I recommend disconnecting the lower CAC hose to drain any oil hat has collected. If you have a mechanic looking into this, UV dye is his best tool for verifying/diagnosing leaks in the high pressure system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s what I’m thinking or a stick injector. But 7 gallons of diluted oil just after 150 miles. Maybe it’s multiple injectors stuck open? The mechanic told me there’s a lot of blow by but when I do the oil cap test there’s barely any blow by. Just the usual that you’d expect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea it starts up perfect and runs smoothly. It’s making a kinda chugging noise now. The mechanic suspected it could be the HPFP he thinks my cylinder walls are worn and doesn’t want to waste my money on trying to diagnose it. I’m so lost on what to do. I’m in the Temecula CA area if anyone is near and could help me take a look at it. I’m up for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
The mechanic suspected it could be the HPFP he thinks my cylinder walls are worn and doesn’t want to waste my money on trying to diagnose it. I’m so lost on what to do. I’m in the Temecula CA area if anyone is near and could help me take a look at it. I’m up for any suggestions.
Did you read Post #3 in its entirety?

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
This is the problem I have with a lot of the posts I read - "my mechanic thinks..." Really? I recommend a little less thinking and a lot more TESTING. The 6.4L is an expensive engine to repair because parts are not cheap and most repairs are labor intensive.

A stuck injector will present with some serious drivability symptoms and will not fill your crankcase. Even excessive fuel compensation for worn engine components wont fill your crankcase in 150 miles. You stated your engine runs fine therefore I doubt a stuck injector exists. I stand firm on my advice that you have a high pressure leak. Also, if the engine is worn out there are some non-intrusive tests we can perform - starting with a relative compression test with a scan tool followed by a manual compression test. Crankcase pressure can also be measured with the proper tools - there is a specification which will also help determine if there is a base engine concern. Looking at cylinder fuel trims will also provide a picture of the engine's health.

I only have two thoughts at this point:
  1. You just bought the truck from a dealer - I would bring it back and tell them they sold you a truck with problems - FIX IT. Or take it back.
  2. You need a new mechanic.

Reactions: Stroking it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thank you! We are going after the dealer as we speak but I bought the truck “as is” from the lot. In the mean time while my attorney is pursuing the dealership I’m looking into all scenarios. I guess I’ll just wait it out to hear back from my attorney before putting into another shop. I appreciate all the feedback guys. I’ll keep you posted. If anyone knows of a reputable diesel mechanic in the surrounding area of Temecula CA I’d appreciate that. Thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
White smoke can be an idication of a cracked head where radiator fluid is leaking into your oil.
I am guessing you bought this used! I just bought one last summer late and I know nothing of diesels except mine ran 2 months and than poof white smoke a couple trips down road and back and than no start.
Where you live I found a diesel mechanic who came to my house and 6 hours later truck back up and running. Fair $$. He also checked my other vehicles while here which did not take long. I'm in E. KY.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
White smoke can be an idication of a cracked head where radiator fluid is leaking into your oil.
I am guessing you bought this used! I just bought one last summer late and I know nothing of diesels except mine ran 2 months and than poof white smoke a couple trips down road and back and than no start.
Where you live I found a diesel mechanic who came to my house and 6 hours later truck back up and running. Fair $$. He also checked my other vehicles while here which did not take long. I'm in E. KY.
I’ve heard of that happening too but I’m not loosing any coolant and my oil isn’t milky or cloudy. It’s definitely diluted with fuel. I’ll have to see if there’s a mobile mechanic in my area of Temecula CA that can maybe come take a look at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve heard of that happening too but I’m not loosing any coolant and my oil isn’t milky or cloudy. It’s definitely diluted with fuel. I’ll have to see if there’s a mobile mechanic in my area of Temecula CA that can maybe come take a look at it.
Good luck. U had but given up on a mobile mechanic for more than a month of looking. I would not just let anyone work on it. I know gas engines but diesel is a foreign language for me.
Than o e evening on facebook marketplace this ad popped up on this mobile mechanic.
Yeah I know not just anybody worki.g on it but my 6th sense said this is it and it turned out great. I'm gonna have him back when year is up and let him put that $30,000 hand held diagnostic computer tool back on it and check it out and tune.ot up! Best $150 I spent and will spend again! He says good to have them.tunwd up . Mine 07, 6.F350 and died in 2 months and was dead for about 45 days and he brought it back to life. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok awesome! I just got the Oasis report back on the truck and it had a new short block put in at 52k the got brought in for fuel level too high again and they found the #2 injector stuck open and relaxed it. That was the last service on the report. I also found an injector recall and my VIN needs all 8 replaced but you had to do it before 2010 so SOL on that but makes me think I have a leaking injector

1 - 15 of 15 Posts