The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's time for a brake job.

What pads would you recommend? OEM or ?

I have 57K miles, all the pads (front and rear) have worn equally. The caliper is getting very close to the rotor, so before it makes contact, I need to replace the pads.

Do you recommend turning the rotors, replacing the rotors or just replacing the pads and call it good.

I've done it all three way in the past with other vehicles...

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
The OE pads are an excellent product on the '08 and if I had an '08 I would stay with them. If you decide to, when you go to the parts counter make sure you are getting the "production line pads", not the Motorcraft replacement line. While the Motorcraft pads are good, they are NOT what was put on the vehicle when it was built.

As far as the rotors go it depends on their condition. If the rubbing surfaces are relatively flat and you have no pulsation I would leave them alone. If you have pulsation then you probably already have hard spots formed and no amount of turning will remove them. Since the lathe cutting bit can't cut as deep into the hard areas it's typical in about 10k miles to have pulsation issues and the myth of thin rotors warping gets told again.

The only issue you run into with leaving relatively flat rotors alone is it takes about double amount od stops for the pads to wear into the rotors, so you a slight amount of diminished stopping ability. If your wearing out pads on that truck within 60k, the extra time will be a day.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The OE pads are an excellent product on the '08 and if I had an '08 I would stay with them. If you decide to, when you go to the parts counter make sure you are getting the "production line pads", not the Motorcraft replacement line. While the Motorcraft pads are good, they are NOT what was put on the vehicle when it was built.

As far as the rotors go it depends on their condition. If the rubbing surfaces are relatively flat and you have no pulsation I would leave them alone. If you have pulsation then you probably already have hard spots formed and no amount of turning will remove them. Since the lathe cutting bit can't cut as deep into the hard areas it's typical in about 10k miles to have pulsation issues and the myth of thin rotors warping gets told again.

The only issue you run into with leaving relatively flat rotors alone is it takes about double amount od stops for the pads to wear into the rotors, so you a slight amount of diminished stopping ability. If your wearing out pads on that truck within 60k, the extra time will be a day.
Thanks for the quick response.

How do I know I'm getting production line pads? Is there a different part number?

I can find a BR1333 and a BRSD 1333, difference being standard and severe duty. Are these replacement or production line?

I have no pulsation or fading. Do you think 60K miles on my factory brakes is a concern?

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Those are the Motorcraft parts, and really are not that far from the OE. If those were my only option I would get the SD designation as they have a higher temp range. While the Motorcraft do have a similar part number secondarily, the OE pads carry a part number that will look like this 8C3Z-2001-A (not necessarily the correct number as I no longer have direct access to the Ford system) and be in a brown box, not a red box. Now that this truck is 7 years out, Ford may or may not be inventorying these parts. You typically get last production date plus 3 years for warranty concerns before Ford no longer purchases OE parts from the original supplier.

I don't think 60k is a concern. Wear life is very dependent on the load AND operating characteristics of the trucks use. If you're typically running empty and more in highway mode, these trucks can get over 100k life. When we did the NVH / wear tests we would only project 30k, but that is with full GVW and approximately 1,000 brake applications per day. I personally get about 150k in my mostly empty, 24 applications, and 42 mile daily use.

With the low yearly mileage I'm guess this is a tow vehicle? If so, despite maybe a lower carrying weight but towed trailer the brakes still get a workout as the disc braked truck vs drum braked trailer despite any controller setting really gives the truck brakes a workout due to the differences on how those brake designs work. My rotors get changed due to rust, not wear.

·
Registered
212 Posts
for whatever value it holds: My OE pads lasted almost 70k miles... there was still a lot of pad left, but I had a caliper seize and went ahead and swapped them all out... I put on some autozone branded pads someone gave me who had sold their truck... these things were messy- super messy leaving my rims black within a week of washing them... they lasted an impressive 10k miles... seriously, 10k miles... ***? so.. I went back to OE and have 20k+ miles on them... did the swap myself, and used a mightyvac bleeding kit on the calipers and now have the best brake pedal I've ever had, and clean rims all the time... they stop and don't scream, and they freakin last like no other pad I've ever seen aftermarket or OE on any vehicle. whoever makes them for ford makes a dang fine product.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Federal-Mogul makes the OE pads for those years, but it's not the same product as what F-M sells to Ford for the Motorcraft line (they have the contract for all of Fords vehicles supplied as Motorcraft = aftermarket) nor the same product that is sold within any of the Wagner lines. No one would pay the price for those pads if they were manufactured in the aftermarket. Despite how people view the Ford pricing, due to the volume of OE production it is sold to the manufacturer in a highly discounted price structure.

When you produce an OE friction material it has to meet Gov't regulations for stopping distance, fade resistance and structural integrity, and the vehicles manufacturers requirements for wear life, noise abatement, rotor interaction and wheel debris level. There are actually OE tests where you measure the the before and after dust levels on the rims with a colorimeter.

With the aftermarket the only thing you have to meet is what a consumer and garages will buy. Ford is different with its Motorcraft supplier demands, requiring the supplier to go through basically the same testing as they do for OE. None of the other vehicle manufacturers do that and nothing you buy from a walk in parts store comes close. But of course if the product is unacceptable or varies too far from consumer expectations, it or the product manufacturer, won't have a long sales history.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Nope, Motorcraft. The parts counters are frustrating in this area.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
You are only going to get them from a Ford dealer or possibly from an eBay source. The problem with a Ford dealer is getting the counterperson to get off their butt as they make more profit from the Motorcraft. One thing is to ask them what they put on the vehicle if it was a warranty replacement? Maybe that will get them to research the product.

Here is a rear set from a '05-'07 truck. This is how the box is labeled, no Motorcraft! Within my side of the industry it is known as a "blue box" part.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts