The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I bought a used 08 F250 with 89k miles. It's my first full sized truck actually. The driver side 4x4 auto locking hub won't come out. Everything I found says just remove the three screws and pull it out but it will not come out. I can kind of rock it back and forth maybe an 1/8".

I'm trying to remove the hub because it's stuck engaged so it's turning the axle shaft when I rotate the tire. Already tried spraying it with WD40 and tapping on it but it's not moving. I'm wondering if something is broken in there and maybe that's why it won't come out and could explain why it's stuck engaged too.

Worst case I'm thinking it would have to be mangled to get it out and replace it with a new one.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
25,173 Posts
Take a 2x4 about 2 ft long and use that to smak the hub back and forth. More WD40 should help.
When "tapping" doesn't work, you need to resort to SMACKING. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After pulling enough the cap broke off and exposed the diaphragm. I decided to cut that out and expose the innards. Looks pretty stuck.
IMG_20200216_131628.jpg

Eventually after enough WD40 and prying it all came out.
IMG_20200216_135246.jpg

Now I just need to figure out everything that needs replaced and get started on that.

·
Super Moderator
25,173 Posts
That's some pretty serious rust in there. You probably should pull the wheel hub and renew the seals. Moisture had to get in there somehow for it to rust like that.
I doubt that the hubs worked at all given the condition.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That hub didn't work at all. It was rusted engaged so the front axle and differential were always rotating. It was frustrating me that anytime I had to drive it I was wearing more things out I shouldn't have been. Here is my shopping list so far.
2x National 710701 Axle Spindle Seal
2x National 710685 Oil Seal
2x TIMKEN SP940200
2x Ford AC3Z-3B396-A

·
Super Moderator
25,173 Posts
You may not need the hub assembly, since the bearing space is independently sealed from where the stub axle goes thru. The earlier hub bearing 99-04 (or so) have a replaceable spindle bearing (#B2110). Not sure about the 08 hub bearing assemblies, but suspect they're the same. That same bearing was used since the days of replaceable wheel bearings on Dana/Spicer front axles. As long as the wheel bearings aren't rough, you can probably drive out the spindle bearing and replace it (assuming it's rusty as well.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts