The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
First off this is an excellent group and I really do appreciate the people on here that have taken time to respond, reading some of the posts has helped me no end.

Okay parked my F250 up on Christmas eve, it will crank and fire up for about 4 seconds then die.

This happened when driving 2 weeks ago, I was off the gas and coming to a stop sign when it stalled out on me then when I stopped I put the truck back in park and restarted and it carried on just fine also ( i dont know if this is related) when I came to a stop it wanted to carry on going until it stalled , again I restarted and it was fine.

I have the EGR delete and DPF and Cat off, I use a mini HD tuner and all has been perfect until now

No error codes

Please does anyone have an idea ? I checked the pump and checked for any water in the diesel and checked the filters and all seemed to be all okay

I am at a lose end now and need my truck for work

Keeping my fingers crossed for any ideas, Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok an update, I left it 2 hours out of frustration and have now changed both fuel filters, the truck starts just fine, any adjustment of the gas peddle makes any difference, it will not respond, if I put my foot on the brake as though i am about to put it in to gear, the revs drop to around 300 and it stalls

Start it right back up and the same thing happens

Help anyone?

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I would start out by checking fuel pump pressure (low pressure pump) and make sure it's making the proper pressure.

The tuner you have, i'm assuming it's an H&S Mini Max?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would start out by checking fuel pump pressure (low pressure pump) and make sure it's making the proper pressure.

The tuner you have, i'm assuming it's an H&S Mini Max?
Hi Cody
Thank you for responding, yes its the minimax , heck of a good tuner, very easy to use, You could well be along the right lines, it seemed like fuel starvation, when it first started it would act perfect for a little over a second and then over a 4 second period just die out, I did change both filters yesterday and this evening when I get home I will check the plugs going in to it and clean them.
Right now its running strong again, I have a 300 mile trip today so will keep my fingers crossed and leave it turned on :)
Thanks for your assistance

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Hi Cody
Thank you for responding, yes its the minimax , heck of a good tuner, very easy to use, You could well be along the right lines, it seemed like fuel starvation, when it first started it would act perfect for a little over a second and then over a 4 second period just die out, I did change both filters yesterday and this evening when I get home I will check the plugs going in to it and clean them.
Right now its running strong again, I have a 300 mile trip today so will keep my fingers crossed and leave it turned on :)
Thanks for your assistance
No problem! yes, in their prime they were great tuners and still are in some cases. :) It may have been some issues with some fuel filters, which I like to change my filters every 5k (i did this when I was running the OEM fuel system as well). If the water separator filter on the frame gets plugged up or full of gunk, the lpfp won't perform in the desired manner. There is a shredder valve up on the fuel cooler under the hood and that's where I'd check the fuel pressure at.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that info Cody,, I am working on my F350 also,, I am part way through doing the EGR detete and have removed the cat, DPF etc, so what tuner would you recommend? like I said I like the Mini Max but if there is a good alternative I am game to try it out.

The F250 did the 300 mile round trip and didnt skip a beat but will keep my eye on it and when I have the 350 ready to roll will then turn my attention back to the 250, both are 08s

I didnt see any issues in the filters? they were both clean but changed them anyway as it will never hurt.

I have purchased a low pressure pump just in case, its a used good tested one, they are easy to change, 3 bolts, 4 tubes and 2 plugs :) been there and done that before with another truck :)

What pressure should I see at the fuel cooler? thats something I dont know?

Happy New year to you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts