The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recently bought F450 SC stake bed is at local Ford dealership who diagnosed it with restricted oil cooler. They said it had EIT/ECT correlation code. I got a price of 3700 incl fuel filters. What is the book times and prices for parts so I can double check them. In the past they repaired all my non diesel cars so I have some faith in them just want to have more info and don't want them to gouge me this time.

Truck History
I bought it from company that said it had coolant in oil. Friend/mechanic picked it up on flatbed and replaced front engine cover and replaced coolant. He drove it 60+ miles with no problems. I picked it up on hot day and towed a loaded car trailer home through steep hills which triggered wrench light. Light would go off at each stop. Light only came on once when truck was empty. Friend is 3 hours away and busy so looking at options better than renting trailer and driving 6 hours round trip twice (drop off then pick up)

Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
If it's truly the oil cooler, buy and install the BPD half kit, and walk on... The BPD is the solution, not just buying time like a new oe cooler... Make certain and flush the system properly with restore and restore+, following the letter of the instructions, and install a coolant filter, else you'll likely clog up the new oe cooler instantly if you go.that route.. overall and when it's all said and done, the BPD will cost you 1/2 to 2/3 what a oe cooler will cost after paying labor, so, you're better off any way you slice it with that kit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I didn't know of that option. I just read about it and called the sales department. Will this option hold out as a viable option or will the OEM cooler need to be changed later anyway.

You are right the labor rate I have been quoted go from 16 to 26 hours.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The BPD answers the bell, period. It can still be routed through the oe cooler, and won't hurt anything by doing so, but you'll need no more oil cooling than the half kit can perform.... It's what IH ought to have done in the first place, and it would likely had been fine by their design w/o the train wreck of a egr cooler flashing gold coolant and basically coagulating, adhering to impurities, casting sand, and whatever else is floating around the cooling system instead of coagulating and adhering to hard parts as it is designed to do... The skin that is designed to protect hard parts by the golds chemical makeup is a failure in that system, especially after running through the egr coolers and heating way up there..

With those wads of crap in the coolant clogging the tiny passages of the or 'brick' coolant-to-oil cooler, the oil has nothing to transfer it's heat to... It overheats..

The BPD kit relocates the cooler to the grill aside the radiator, is an air to oil cooler like the radiator itself, and does a mucho better job... Most folks report unloaded delta's of four to six degrees under the coolant temperature...

While you're doing all this, don't brain fart and not flush the system.. use restore and restore+... Refill with cat ec-1 elc red coolant.. eff that Ford gold crap... You'll not have to address this ever again... The BPD can be installed in five to eight hours, cab on, and with standard tools... A good shop, obviously, on te five hour side, and a decent shade tree mechanic on the eight hour side... I know a guy who can do it in four hours flat, from parking the truck to it driving off... The flush takes longer than anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts