The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody swapped 08+ springs on to 99-07 trucks? The 08+ springs are 8" longer and are supposed to ride alot better. The difference is the front hanger is 8" more forward. Curious if anyone has attempted it. I ran accross this on EBAY , just wondered if anybody had done it.

1999-2007 F-250 F-350 Superduty Leaf Spring Conversion:eBay Motors (item 250515443873 end time Nov-15-09 15:46:32 PST)

I emailed him and asked about them. He told me:

just think if you welded 8 inches onto the front of your current leaf springs…..the rear shackle and axle center pin remain in exactly the same place, its just that the front eye is moved forward by 8 inches….this actually makes the leaf springs the same length in front and in back of the axle like it should be….the 99-07 design is really a terrible design because of the shorter front section really affects ride quality and limits maximum load….

Like I said, we have them on all of our company 1999-2001 F350 duallies, and it makes a huge difference, both in ride quality and weight carrying capacity, and there were absolutely no issues with regard to axle location, simply removing the existing front hangers and replacing them with ours 8 inches further toward the front is all that’s necessary….

Well I've tried talking to the guy that has the listing. Not much luck on getting info out of him. I asked him if he would sell me a set of just the mounts and he told me he couldnt because this was the last set he was trying to clear out, thats why the price is so cheap. LOL I told him:

Well I'm interested but want to see what the brackets look like. So send me a pic of them and we'll see what we can do. There has to be a way to let me see what they look like if you are "trying to clear out this last set". Why wouldnt a person just be able to get a set of factory mounts and move them forward 8 inches? Just put yourself in my shoes, would you spend $1000 on something that somebody doesnt even want to show you a picture of?

He responded:

Because:

1) you don’t know the correct location to mount them (not as simple as 8 inches forward)

2) what are you going to do when the main frame crossmember falls out (and it will if you do the sequence wrong)

3) how do you plan to handle the parking brake cables (existing bracket is 8 inches forward of existing spring mount)

We’ve already figured out all these issues and several others that you will encounter…..

Just heard back from him again, he told me:

We are not going to send you a picture of the mounts for the simple reason that they can be copied……..that is the reason there is no picture of the mounts to begin with in the auction….if you are interested in this kit, you are welcome to do the buy-it-now…….if not, we understand and thanks for your interest…..Scott @ IST

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would ask him to show you a picture of the kit as it is installed on his truck.... If he refuses then find out what his return policy is. If he will not disclose what the kit is actually of and will not allow you to return it if you do not like it, then he is breaking EBays terms of sale policies and he should be reported. That is my opinion.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Go ahead and buy it. Then I'll buy your rear springs.:lol:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your Icons will ride better than the stock '08's.
yeah but I'm wanting to run a OUO traction block setup. And the smallest you can get it in is 4". That would be too much with my 5" springs. I'm running a 1" block on there right now.

So if I could convert to the 08 leafs, I could have the better ride of the longer 08 spring, the factory load capacity, and could run the traction blocks. Plus it would be something new!!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone aware of another company that makes the hangers for this?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I stated eralier...the smallest block availiable in the OUO traction block set up is a 4" block. I am running a 5" ICON rear leaf spring with a 1" block, so I cant do a OUO traction block setup with that.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was leaning more towards the traction block setup not just the traction bars. I like the block being tied into the bar. Plus if I went with the 08 springs I would have the added load capacity plus the better ride of the 08 spring (compared to the shorter factory 05 spring).

If I did go with just the traction bar I would go with the small gusseted bar not the large gussets. I dont care for the look of the larger gussets.

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
I just messaged the guy, We'll see what he says. I would be very leery of someone who won't show you a picture of his product installed, ESPECIALLY for something THAT high in price. If it's that simple to copy, he's in trouble. Because it must not be patented, and if that's the case, someone WILL buy a kit, and market it if not only to their friends on these forums! LOL (if you don't sell to the "Public" he'll never know the difference, and couldn't do anything about it. IMHO.

Ok, so I have not measured my springs and axle mount. Is it not even from the differential housing to each end of the spring on my 03 dually?
I would be very interested in this as my springs are sagging terribly right now. (I am sitting on my Timbren overloads even empty.)
I would be very interested in more information. Could you please include pictures of the brackets? Or at least a picture of the kit installed on an earlier Super Duty as you have done?
Thanks! I look forward to hearing from you!
Jim

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wait till he responds. He is VERY ****y. And what gets me is he has had that same set listed for like 6 months.

The last message I got from him was:

"No, we don't send pictures because people try to copy it, we get 2 or 3 requests per week for pics of the front mount...but rest assured, it is made out of 1/4" solid steel plate, and we have had these kits on our company duallys for over 2 years now.....thanks..."

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
maybe we need to pitch in and buy it then mass produce it lol.

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
Well, I will have to tell him, if I can not see a product, there's no way I'll spend over a grand on it! He is an idiot if he thinks that.. and I guess not many people will do it either... if it's been listed this long.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Why not just buy an OEM mount and springs?

BTW, I tried searching for completed listings of that same product. This way maybe we can ask some previoous buyer to send a picture? I couldnt find any. Then I looked at his last 200 feedbacks. Couldnt find that he sold one of these kits. I am gonna venture a guess that he is selling OEM leaf springs with the OEM spring hangers. Then he writes up some directions!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He told me they custom make the front hangers, but take that for what it's worth. Lol

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
OK, I messaged them on Ebay. Their reply was.......

"Send us your email address"

So, I should have pics of this "Kit" sometime soon I guess. I'll share them with ya'll.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Cool Can't wait to see those pics!!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
You guys just need to order the new shackles and springs and measure an 08 eye to eye there is no secret hes just trying to take advantage of him doing this first , come on its not rocket science

1 - 20 of 74 Posts