The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 vehicles, each have Homelink. It seems only 1 can be programmed for a door opener at a time. If it's working, and I program the other car Homelink, the first car Homelink no longer works. Is this as designed or am I missing something?

·
Registered
White '99.5 F250 SD XLT 4x2, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed - purchased Oct'05
1,580 Posts
I wonder if it's like car keyless entry fobs where it's necessary to program all at the same time? Could it be that someone needs to be in the other vehicles going through the same steps simultaneously, or at least all programmed before the programming cycle is completed?

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Don't most modern openers have a rotating code system? My two Genie openers do. After initial programming every time and individual opener sending unit connects with the base unit it requires the last set code. When the unit opens or closes it resets a slightly different code with that individual sender and base,so the codes rotate on each cycle never the same one. If the Homelink system works similarly then it would be impossible to use more than one sender, vehicle, per opener.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
It can be frustrating as the process is somewhat complicated. If you hold the "button" on the opener too long, it reprograms the code and none of the Homelinks will work. After you set an individual Homelink unit, you need to push the assigned button and then the button on the opener to acknowledge the proper coding. Look in your owner's manual for the instrucions for your vehicle.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Can't help you much. I have two vehicles with homelink, and two genie openers and both vehicles can open both garage doors just fine. I don't think I did anything special to program them.

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Sheep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't help you much. I have two vehicles with homelink, and two genie openers and both vehicles can open both garage doors just fine. I don't think I did anything special to program them. </div></div>

Must be different model Genie openers than mine, with the rotating code system mine won't work two openers one door. When one opener uses the system it resets the code in the sender and base so the other openers are never on the same code pattern. A supposed security feature, like a garage door is Fort Knox anyway.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I believe there is a way to do it, but it's a pain. You have to program everything at once. The opener receiver has to know about each Homelink.

I helped a coworker set this up a few years ago. Had to have both cars at the same time parked near the garage, and it took several tires and a lot of re-reading the instructions.

It helps to have one person in each car pushing the correct Homelink buttons, and a third person on the ladder pushing the programming button on the opener. You can do it with fewer people, but it's crazy trying to run around and do everything with some fairly short time windows to get it all done. Every button push has to be perfect. Make one mistake, and you gotta start over.

The Homelink instructions will tell you how to do it, or they will tell you up front which models it will never work with.

HTH

-steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your garage door can only have so many items programmed at once. For instance, if you get new cars, keypads or remotes you may max out the number of codes that can be stored. I would recommend that you reset the garage door unit. You can do this on many of them by holding the "learn" button for several seconds. This should wipe out all wireless codes that have been stored and allow you to store multiple codes again. Hope this helps...

Marc

·
Registered
1 Posts
Resolved :) ... I had the same issue with my Toyota 4Ruuner and Toyota Tundra. Only 1 can be programmed and the other loses it. I have a Genie garage door (with rolling code) and what finally worked is when i reset the garage door opener by pressing and holding the learn button for 10 seconds. Then programmed the regular remote control that comes with the garage door. And then reprogramming both cars as i did before. This time though both kept the code.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Resolved :) ... I had the same issue with my Toyota 4Ruuner and Toyota Tundra. Only 1 can be programmed and the other loses it. I have a Genie garage door (with rolling code) and what finally worked is when i reset the garage door opener by pressing and holding the learn button for 10 seconds. Then programmed the regular remote control that comes with the garage door. And then reprogramming both cars as i did before. This time though both kept the code.
Of all the above articles, this is the one that works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just want to add a big thank you. There aren't a lot of guides the talk about resetting the overhead completely. This worked for us just now. We've now got the two cars (one just added), two clickers, and the remote keypad all working.

Huge success.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you program both vehicles in the 30. Seconds after clicking learning on opener?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 3 vehicles, each have Homelink. It seems only 1 can be programmed for a door opener at a time. If it's working, and I program the other car Homelink, the first car Homelink no longer works. Is this as designed or am I missing something?
I had the same exact problem... You need to reset the actual garage motor itself... they only store so many codes and after it ‘fills up’ it will only keep the last one entered... that is your problem here. To fix, simply press and hold down the ‘learn’ button until the light stops blinkin which means you’ve cleared out all the codes stored.,, now you can go about normal pairing of your handheld and vehicles home link buttons as expected.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you! In 2021 this is still useful information. I had an issue trying to add my new car to our Homelink and could not figure out why once I program one, I would lose programming with the other car and Genie remote. So for those that need more detailed instructions, please complete the following:

1. You do need to reset the Genie itself by holding the "Learn" button for 10 seconds.

2. Once you do this, you have to reprogram the remote by pushing the learn button once and hitting the button on the remote you want to program 3 times.

3. Now ensure that you have reset your Homelink on your car, Car 1 by zeroing it out by holding both left and right car Homelink buttons simultaneously until it blinks rapidly.

4. After that, you need to go back to Car 1 and hold the remote to the Homelink button you intend to program until the light flashes rapidly.

5. Now go back to the garage Genie and push the learn button once and you have 30 seconds to go back to the car and push the Homelink button you just programmed 3 times holding 2 seconds at a time. One of the 3 times should move the garage door. Once it does, it is programmed. If you push 3 times and it did not move, repeat the steps from zeroing your Homelink button in Car 1. It will eventually work but you have to be patient.

6. After, Car 1 is programmed you can move to Car 2 and repeat all steps from zeroing the Homelink button in that car, Car 2.

7. Once programmed, check that Car 1 and the Genie remote still work individually.

8. If all 3 work individually, you are done!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks raynnnn!! I was soooo frustrated until I found your tip. Shame on Genie for not being clear about this! Now I have two cars plus one remote working properly. As it should!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you! In 2021 this is still useful information. I had an issue trying to add my new car to our Homelink and could not figure out why once I program one, I would lose programming with the other car and Genie remote. So for those that need more detailed instructions, please complete the following:

1. You do need to reset the Genie itself by holding the "Learn" button for 10 seconds.

2. Once you do this, you have to reprogram the remote by pushing the learn button once and hitting the button on the remote you want to program 3 times.

3. Now ensure that you have reset your Homelink on your car, Car 1 by zeroing it out by holding both left and right car Homelink buttons simultaneously until it blinks rapidly.

4. After that, you need to go back to Car 1 and hold the remote to the Homelink button you intend to program until the light flashes rapidly.

5. Now go back to the garage Genie and push the learn button once and you have 30 seconds to go back to the car and push the Homelink button you just programmed 3 times holding 2 seconds at a time. One of the 3 times should move the garage door. Once it does, it is programmed. If you push 3 times and it did not move, repeat the steps from zeroing your Homelink button in Car 1. It will eventually work but you have to be patient.

6. After, Car 1 is programmed you can move to Car 2 and repeat all steps from zeroing the Homelink button in that car, Car 2.

7. Once programmed, check that Car 1 and the Genie remote still work individually.

8. If all 3 work individually, you are done!
Thank you for this. Worked immediately after following your steps. Only had to tweak the mini cooper protocol.

Without resetting my genie it wouldn't have worked at all.

Ty, ty. :):)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.