The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the options for a single rear wheel F350 and noticed there is a 10,000 GVW option for no charge. Is this only to reduce the GVW to get under the weight for commercial plates? Is the truck mechanically the same as the higher GVW single rear wheels including ride height?

· Registered
556 Posts
My F250 is 10,000 GVWR as well

· Premium Member
18,824 Posts
I was looking at the options for a single rear wheel F350 and noticed there is a 10,000 GVW option for no charge. Is this only to reduce the GVW to get under the weight for commercial plates?
Yes. In a nutshell it's a tax avoidance option. Depending on the state, GVWR over 10,000 pounds raises the taxes you must pay for your registration/license plates. Some folks want the weight capacity of the F-350 SRW without the increased taxes. So Ford makes that "paper" option available.

But the Federal Certification Label on the lower doorpost behind the driver's door will say 10,000 pounds instead of over 11,000 pounds, so LEO might give you a ticket if you are "overloaded" over the 10,000 GVWR.

Is the truck mechanically the same as the higher GVW single rear wheels including ride height?
Yes.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In Mass. it's not about tax avoidance, its commercial registration and inspection. A 10,000# GVW F350 is $50 to register for two years. My current 13,000# F350 dually is $260 per year. Also, anything over 10,000# GVW needs a different inspection. A pickup 10,000# and under pays $29 per year for an inspection sticker where a pickup over 10,000#'s pays as high as $129 for the same sticker. I put 2,000 miles on my truck this year. That means I paid $0.69 per mile (NOT counting depretiation, fuel, and oil change) to drive my dually)

· Premium Member
18,824 Posts
So it sounds like Ford made the 10,000 GVWR option just for you guys stuck in Taxachusetts. :wink2:

Way back when, I lived in Maine for two years. They had that same "tax the rich" mentality. Any decent vehicle cost a fortune to register each year. I was glad I was military exempt and paid only $25 per year for the Texas plates on my new 1961 Ford Fairlane. :)

· Registered
259 Posts
In my state I just register it originally for what I want within reason. It only matters when you put weight in it. My truck is a tow vehicle and toy, so no need to max register it. I do believe I could probably register it over manufacturers weight if I wanted also. The state is only concerned with the Tax er registratio um I mean safety.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts