The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Wow that good temp readings you will be happy with that, but the 180-200F temps where not going to destroy your tranny pulling that weight.

Glad to hear it's fixed where you like to see the temps .:thumbsup:
Not trying to fix anything as much as trying to protect an investment. I really like my old truck and don't want to get a new one. This one does all that I need. The trans temps seem all sorted.... next is going through to the rest of the cooling system and onto 1/2 million miles.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Id apologize for resurrecting this thread from almost 5 years ago but dont see anything wrong with it.

I found a leak on the hose fitting that connects to my 9 row on my 99 f250. I decided if Im gonna tear it down to fix it I might as well upgrade the cooler. Originally I bought a 26 row from a salvage operation in canada via ebay. I bought hoses and clamps and the magnafine filter mentioned here. My thought was Id catch any debris the used cooler had (right or wrong, not here to debate my logic there). Was a really nice looking cooler but it was lost in shipping. I told them either send me one in same or better condition or refund me the money so I can go elsewhere. Well they sent me one that was complete dogsh!t and after a very nice yet stearn email they refunded my money. By the way, if I was a jerk about it they may not have helped me.

I then decided to buy a cheap one from rockauto based on some reviews I read and its on the way.

Finally to my question; I have purchased new oil coolers in the past and to my horror found debris from manufacturing inside. So as I understand it ford does a new oil cooler and this filter when they do a reman trans. Should I install this filter with this brand new "cheap"cooler? I mean I have it, can it impede flow too much? I guess Id need to put it on a maintenance schedule based on miles.

This is a great thread by the way.

EDIT: Almost forgot to ask.. which line is the return???

thanks

·
Premium Member
14,446 Posts
I run the filter on mine on the supply line, but can’t see how it would matter. The reason most of us do that is the supply line is easily accessible and a rubber line whereas the return is metal. The return line is the one that goes to the rear of the transmission.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
If you choose to install one of these inline filters then you are correct that you need to follow a maintenance schedule for replacement.

You are probably lucky the used cooler deal fell through. There is too much unknown risk with a used cooler.

·
Super Moderator
11,633 Posts
It makes a BIG difference!

If you have it in the supply line you'll catch debris from the transmission before it gets to the coolers. But in this case, there is manufacturing debris in the new cooler. If the filter is in the supply side that debris will find it's way into the transmission, probably causing a transmission failure.

If you use that cooler, and I wouldn't, I recommend placing the filter in the return side.

The line from the front of the trans is the supply to the cooler. The line at the rear of the trans is the return from the cooler.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Last year I flushed and filled my 4R100 and rebuilt the by-pass valve thanks to Marks and everyone else’s help. Then I replaced my stock cooler with the Mishimoto 6.0 and also installed an A/T temperature gauge. I installed a screw on Baldwin filter following the write up by Woodnthings8 and installed a Baldwin pressure gauge in the engine compartment. My gauge never registered, But the dash Cold/Hot gauge did. Hmmm. Then a few weeks ago I hit some hot weather (97*), AC on max, and pulling 3500# boat (I know that isn’t much weight), slight hills, and gauge needle finally moved— up to 160*

·
Registered
108 Posts
I run the filter on mine on the supply line, but can’t see how it would matter. The reason most of us do that is the supply line is easily accessible and a rubber line whereas the return is metal. The return line is the one that goes to the rear of the transmission.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank for the answer to which is the return.

Anyone have any recommendation on running one at all? Iv seen debates on this. I guess I just need to decide for myself based on facts. Seems like the fact is ford recommends it. Although I dont have an OTW cooler.. which is why maybe they recommended it even with a new OTA cooler.

EDIT: Sorry. I missed the responses..thank you!

·
Registered
108 Posts
It makes a BIG difference!

If you have it in the supply line you'll catch debris from the transmission before it gets to the coolers. But in this case, there is manufacturing debris in the new cooler. If the filter is in the supply side that debris will find it's way into the transmission, probably causing a transmission failure.

If you use that cooler, and I wouldn't, I recommend placing the filter in the return side.

The line from the front of the trans is the supply to the cooler. The line at the rear of the trans is the return from the cooler.
I believe I said I have SEEN debris in new coolers and havent received my cooler yet. So even if I dont see debris in the new one Id lose sleep tossing and turning as to whether I just installed a ticking time bomb.

thank you though.

EDIT: I presume by your answer that you dont believe the magnafine impedes flow to any degree of concern. Correct?

·
Premium Member
14,446 Posts
Although I don't have an OTW cooler..
My 2 cents - get a new radiator off Rockauto. They're only about $120. Get the one with the oil to water cooler. It is dramatically better at cooling the ATF than an oil to air cooler. Run your supply to the radiator. Out of the radiator to the 6.0 cooler, then back to the rear of the transmission. But your filter anywhere you want. It isn't going to impede the flow. UNLESS you forget to change it. I have no proof of this, but I suspect that's why Ford quit putting them on. Customers get a new transmission with the inline filter and come back in 60,000 miles with a failure only to find out that filter never got changed. It does have a bypass, but I suspect even that will clog eventually.

I drop my pan every third oil change. I change my Magnefine, clean my internal magnet, and fill it up with 8 quarts of fluid. That keeps my additive package fresh, dilutes out contaminants and I've only got 252,000 miles on my original transmission so what do I know...:winking:

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I find it surprising that a new Motorcraft cooler should have a problem with debris remaining from manufacture. Possibly your experience was quite rare. What was the actual debris material?

·
Registered
108 Posts
My 2 cents - get a new radiator off Rockauto. They're only about $120. Get the one with the oil to water cooler. It is dramatically better at cooling the ATF than an oil to air cooler. Run your supply to the radiator. Out of the radiator to the 6.0 cooler, then back to the rear of the transmission. But your filter anywhere you want. It isn't going to impede the flow. UNLESS you forget to change it. I have no proof of this, but I suspect that's why Ford quit putting them on. Customers get a new transmission with the inline filter and come back in 60,000 miles with a failure only to find out that filter never got changed. It does have a bypass, but I suspect even that will clog eventually.

I drop my pan every third oil change. I change my Magnefine, clean my internal magnet, and fill it up with 8 quarts of fluid. That keeps my additive package fresh, dilutes out contaminants and I've only got 252,000 miles on my original transmission so what do I know...:winking:
I bet you are right about the filter.

Im going to look into a radiator.. things are a but tight right now so it may be a future upgrade. Based on research it would help with hard reverse work.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
You have to buy more than just a radiator. You have to buy the lines as well.

Are you towing?

I had a 2000 7.3 and I only had the stock OTA radiator. According to my ScanGuage I never even came close to overheating once I upgraded to a 6.0 ATF Cooler. I had trouble getting the ATF up to 170*F with the upgraded 26-row cooler.

I did choose to run the Magnefine (or NAPA inline filters) and as long as you change them out as recommended then there is only upside to having one installed. They have a magnet and they have a fiber that captures particulates.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I find it surprising that a new Motorcraft cooler should have a problem with debris remaining from manufacture. Possibly your experience was quite rare. What was the actual debris material?
I did not assert that a new motorcraft cooler had debis in it.
Nor did you specify it was NOT a Motorcraft cooler.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
You have to buy more than just a radiator. You have to buy the lines as well.

Are you towing?

I had a 2000 7.3 and I only had the stock OTA radiator. According to my ScanGuage I never even came close to overheating once I upgraded to a 6.0 ATF Cooler. I had trouble getting the ATF up to 170*F with the upgraded 26-row cooler.

I did choose to run the Magnefine (or NAPA inline filters) and as long as you change them out as recommended then there is only upside to having one installed. They have a magnet and they have a fiber that captures particulates.
Yes, I tow a 10k or thereabouts 5th wheel camper.

I have not pulled in the temps we are currently experiencing (95f+) and I may tow from the carolinas to arizona.. not sure. Since I had a leak, I figured id do the 6.0 upgrade. Im now regretting it.. its hot and humid, I have no garage and my right arm is severely impaired so Im having a hell of a time. I plan to get it done today. Im let down with the quality of the cheap a$$ rockauto cooler that arrived but moving forward with it because I need my truck now. Just praying some of the defects Im seeing wont be leaks.

Getting the magnafine in place is tight and going to be a real challenge. I may use a pipe cutter and cut the return a little shorter.. worried about debris.. but should be ok if I look carefully at the cut end and pull anything out I might see.

I just cant afford a trans failure right now.. its near new so Im hopeful that with this effort I will have a little security in that regard.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
41 - 60 of 67 Posts