The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I took my 2014 F-450 6.7 Crew cab Stake bed truck into a local Ford dealer for an oil change. This truck has 80k miles on it currently, and I bought it with 78k miles on it. So far it has been good with no issues. I have a couple questions with the oil change.

The dealer invoice shows they filled it with Motorcraft 10W30 oil. The driver info center said on the dash it was time for an oil change. The oil looked very black on the dipstick. Prior to having this oil change done, I called around to a few shops and some said only use synthetic oil, while others said semi-synthetic or dino oil is acceptable.

Is this Motorcraft 10W30 synthetic or dino oil?

Is this the correct oil for the 6.7?

When I got the truck home from the dealer, I pulled the dipstick again to make sure the oil was filled to the correct level, which it was. What had me raise an eyebrow was how black the "new" oil already was. Is it normal for new oil to turn black pretty much instantly? The drive home was 5-7 miles and it was a hot day, if that matters.

On to the No Start condition, which happened the very next day after I had the truck at the dealer for the oil change. Out of the blue, it had never done this previously in the 3 months I've owned it, the truck would not start. I had a "Starting System Fault" message on the dash, driver info center display. I see in searching the web that this is not an uncommon thing. After about an hour, the problem went away and has not returned, but it had me bugged out that one of us is going to be stranded with a no start at some random place. This No Start happened at my office, so I was able to contend with it. After the No Start cleared on it's own, I had a CEL on the dash. I plugged in and found 3 codes:

U0140 Lost communication with BCM
P1635 Mfg control aux inputs/outputs

P2610 Ecm/pcm internal engine timer off

These all seem to point to loss of communtion with the Body Control Module.

Is there any surefire fix to avoid this in the future?

Is there any coincidence with this happening and the oil change being completed the day prior?

Thank you in advance for all advice. Sorry this post went long, just trying to condense my posting here to 1 thread.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Wow! ‘Sorry about your problems. I can’t help you with your no start problem. There are some very knowledgeable folks here that I’m sure will be glad to help. I CAN tell you that black engine oil, even new oil, is fairly common in Diesel engines. A big part of that is the detergents that keep impurities suspended in the oil instead of allowing the gunk to build up on the engine’s internals. If you are still concerned about the black oil you can send a sample to Blackstone Labs for an analysis. That should put your engine oil fears to rest.
Good luck with your starting problem. Please let us know how this works out for you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I've had a few other Ford diesels, 6.0's, in the past and I hadn't seen them 'black' the oil this quickly which is why I asked. I did previously notice that the 6.0 would 'black' the oil within 100-200 miles, but not within 5-10 miles. Thank you for the info confirming this is normal. I was seriously starting to wonder if the dealer changed the filter, but forgot to drain the oil and add new.

Anyone know if the Motorcraft 10W30 is the correct oil to use for this truck and if it is synthetic or dino oil?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
10w30 is dino. If they put the diesel oil it, it will be ok.

I run 5w40 full synthetic

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Larry. Yes it is the Diesel 10W30 that was used. Thank you for the chart, which is what I was hoping for. If I had the manual that came with the truck, I would have looked it up in the owners manual, but since I bought this truck used from Ryder Truck, the owners manual is MIA. Looking for one of those too.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts