The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tow an enclosed trailer and have noticed on the last few trips that my storage box on the tongue and the front of the trailer has random oil splatter spots. The spots aren't dripping and actually on the dry side. I have checked under the truck, trans and engine area and see a bit at the back of the rear bumper but not much else. Rear is dry. About the only area under the hood that seems to stay messy is the driver side breather on the valve cover. It's not to the point of being a drip that I can tell.

Any ideas appreciated.
2000 F350, 7.3, Auto, 165k, Crewcab, 8ft.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
A regular " drip " in the front can make the underside wet all the way back, but just in case check your rear differential gear oil level and pinion seal area.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Is your tail pipe dry? Is your oil consumption stable?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Look in the intake valley for signs of an HPOP leak. It would drip down the back of the engine and get blown off to the rear. When my HPOP was leaking camper always took an oily hit. I fyou can't get to the HPOP repair right away rig a high edged baking pan up under where the drip is to catch the drips. It will self-drain when you hit the brakes hard!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts

A likely cause would be the o-rings. Oil drips down from the connections from the HPOP to the rails into the valley, then down the back of the engine, and spatters around underneath the vehicle. Link to get the parts that you need for the repair is at the top of this post.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

A likely cause would be the o-rings. Oil drips down from the connections from the HPOP to the rails into the valley, then down the back of the engine, and spatters around underneath the vehicle. Link to get the parts that you need for the repair is at the top of this post.
Exactly which 0-rings do I need from the site? I did the fuel filter bowl a few years ago with the upgraded o-rings.

Thanks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You need to figure out which ones are leaking. Turbo pedestal or HPOP lines are common ones, but you don't want to randomly replace them. Get it good and clean and then drive it a bit to see if you can find out where from. When my HPOP lines started leaking I had at least 2 quarts in the valley that would leak down the back of the engine, but on an incline it would pour out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You need to figure out which ones are leaking. Turbo pedestal or HPOP lines are common ones, but you don't want to randomly replace them. Get it good and clean and then drive it a bit to see if you can find out where from. When my HPOP lines started leaking I had at least 2 quarts in the valley that would leak down the back of the engine, but on an incline it would pour out.
But that was engine oil - correct? I am not losing any appreciable oil, it uses less than a quart every 6000 or so.

·
Registered
508 Posts
But that was engine oil - correct? I am not losing any appreciable oil, it uses less than a quart every 6000 or so.
Ok, then first step is to figure out what kind of oil this is. You've got several choices... :)

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I would clean the area around those connections very well, then look to see where you can find oil leaking. It sounds as if you have only a small leak now. You might as well find the leak and fix it now rather than wait for it to get much bigger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts