The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm an amateur mechanic. I have a 1984 F250 diesel 6.9L standard. I have power to everything (lights, gauges, wipers,etc) but when I turn the key the starter makes absolutely no sound. i changed the solenoid and it's getting power. I tested the batteries with a voltmeter. All good. I took the starter off and connected it directly to a power source and nothing. So, I replaced the starter and when I turned the key....nothing!!!! I am getting really po'd at this point. Don't know what to do.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I guess, from your post, you have a standard transmission. Have you checked the clutch safety/ start switchamous? That safety switch is designed to prevent starting the truck when it is in gear and you do not have the clutch pressed in. If it is automatic, you should have a neutral start switch which permits starting in neutral and park.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The clutch switch in this generation of truck is [email protected] You could start (no pun intended) by bypassing it, see if it cranks then.

Did you replace the SOLENOID (on the starter) or the RELAY (on the fender)? Did you test the relay, or try bypassing it? ** NOTE ** You probably already know this, but just doing due diligence - doing any of these tests / bypasses, make absolutely SURE the transmission is in NEUTRAL, and set the parking brake or block the wheels. You do NOT want to run yourself over by cranking the motor in gear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts