The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to diesels but needed one. so i got an older diesel just as a cheap work truck, ran great. i have it in my yard running and i flip the switch to use other fuel tank, just wanted to check if it was full or empty, it was empty. then i switched it back over and reparked my truck and now it when i try to turn it over... nuthn. just does the clicks for gp and wont turn over. please say its an easy fix i can do myself. im not even sure if that did anything but flipping fuel switch is only of thing i remember doing... i really need this fixed so i can start hauling stuff.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Welcome to the Diesel Stop.

Does the starter turn at all? If not then you need to check the batteries. It takes 2 strong batteries to start a Diesel engine. Take them both out and have them load tested. If one tests bad replace BOTH.

If the batteries test good, then check the connections at the posts for any signs of corrosion. Post back with your findings and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i dont hear anything goin on. so id say no starter is not going, and the voltage does seem really low on dash.i just got truck today, and have never had a diesel, so im fairly certain its my fault lol im good with gas engines but that dosent help much haha can i jump it with our minivan or shuld i be patient and go get them tested tmrw

and if they get recharged and there good. and say i put them back and it starts.. then alternator is culprit?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
You might get lucky jump starting it. Diesel engines develop lots of compression for ignition of the fuel so it takes a STRONG starter to turn it fast enough and that takes LOTS of amps.

I don't know that I would risk damage to the minivan charging circuit. And yeah if the batteries are good the next logical test is the alt. may be the alt, may be the regulator, may be the battery cables.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
That click clicking you hear may be the start relay mounted on the pass side fender. Clean all the battery posts connections, looks for green corrosion on the battery cables, clean the Neg. cable connection on the engine, make sure the Pos. cable connection on the starter is tight and is not corroded. After doing all that, you can jump the starter relay across the large terminals and see if it turns over and starts, (key On). No start, then batteries may be dead or bad. As Chuckster said have them checked out. Don't try and charge them with the Alternator, you can burn up the Alt. doing that, use a battery charger. After doing all that with batteries charged or new, check Alt. charging output, should be ~12.8 to ~14.5 VDC, no charge then could be voltage regulator or bad Alt..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i got the batterys tested, one was bad so i got two new ones. that did jack squat. i wasnt sure where to jump starter or if it was safe but i took it off and took that to get tested, of course they didnt have a machine to test it, it said it had to be tested on the truck itself. do i just get a screw driver and touch it to both while somebody else cranks it over or can i do it myself sumhow

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and i dont think its that clicking, i hear it coming from top driver side. from a canister on top of motor.. sorry for my ignorance, but i am eager to learn diesel

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
The clicking is right behind the intake? If so that's the glow plug controller cycling the gp's. Normal and nothing to worry about.

If you look at the fender on the passenger side, you need to connect the two big posts and the starter should turn. If it does then that solenoid is probably shot. If the starter doesn't do anything then it may be the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GOT IT RUNNING!!!!! new batts, no change, new starter, no change.... except when i jump it at the two bolts on passanger side by battery. but its running! just my work truck so i guess i could screwdriver start it if i had to when i used it LOL but i sure dont wanna, so whats next.. ignition???

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Change the solenoid on the fender. If that doesn't do it then look at the ignition switch at the bottom of the steering column.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Yes and yes. Some people refer to the part on the fender as the starter relay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
awesome. and i dont see anything t bottom of steering column. by pedals? whats part name if u know it so i can google a pic of it and know what to look for

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
It's called an ignition switch. The key is inserted into the ignition cylinder.
At O'Reillys P/N CS287 made by BWD.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
It is located at the base of the column. You might have to remove s shroud. There is a rod that runs from the cylinder down to the switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
disregard last message..got it figd out....but...

CHUCK YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! TY TY TY> solenoid changed, fired right up like new yayyy!!! you really saved the day brother!! we got this vehicle to help us haul stuff for a buisness we are starting so we can spend more time with our kidsand work for ourselves . TYTY

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Your very welcome. Make the time you spend with your kids quality time.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
After doing all that, you can jump the starter relay across the large terminals and see if it turns over and starts, (key On)
I thought sure I typed that in English.:sneaky:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
It's at the base of the column. Actuated by a rod from the lock cylinder. On top of the column. you won't see it from under, run your hand across the top of the column, you'll find it. It's right about where the dash stops.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts