The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am completely new to diesels. This will be a complete learning experience. I've worked on cars quite a bit, but nothing with diesels. With that being said, I just picked up a 7.3 NA IDI Rollback for cheap. It needs a little bit of everything.

Runs, drives, revs fine, idles, no knocks, cruised at 60mph

But the damn thing smokes pretty heavy IMO. This happened when cold and warmed up. Drove it about 40 mins. The truck has been roughly sitting since earlier this year so that might have something to do with it. I would say the smoke isn't dark black, not pure white, more of a gray/blue. So I'm assuming oil?

Lots of miles on it. I know the some injectors leak at the o-rings. So it could be something dumb like stuck rings from sitting, doubt it. The smoke kind of reminded me of when a truck has a load and is taking off. Hard to explain. Will try to get a video up o show you guys.

What should I start to look for? Again, I'm an idiot with this thing so let's keep it at idiot level. haha. Thanks for any and all help/suggestions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
First off, I am completely new to diesels. This will be a complete learning experience. I've worked on cars quite a bit, but nothing with diesels. With that being said, I just picked up a 7.3 NA IDI Rollback for cheap. It needs a little bit of everything.

Runs, drives, revs fine, idles, no knocks, cruised at 60mph

But the damn thing smokes pretty heavy IMO. This happened when cold and warmed up. Drove it about 40 mins. The truck has been roughly sitting since earlier this year so that might have something to do with it. I would say the smoke isn't dark black, not pure white, more of a gray/blue. So I'm assuming oil?

Lots of miles on it. I know the some injectors leak at the o-rings. So it could be something dumb like stuck rings from sitting, doubt it. The smoke kind of reminded me of when a truck has a load and is taking off. Hard to explain. Will try to get a video up o show you guys.

What should I start to look for? Again, I'm an idiot with this thing so let's keep it at idiot level. haha. Thanks for any and all help/suggestions.
YEA ID LIKE TO SEE THE VIDEO MINE STARTED DOIGN THE SAME THING LATELY ..

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
What does the smoke smell like. Diesel or gas, oil smells the same when it burns. If you're seeing fuel smoke, then it could be stuck injectors. Especially if it sat for a while. You might try running a compression test to see what the internal condition of the engine is. You need to be aware that a diesel engine will have compression readings in the 300 to 600 PSI range, and get a suitable compression gauge. Typically (but by no means always) if the engine starts well and responds to the throttle well the compression is going to be OK.

Reactions: dutyhole

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does the smoke smell like. Diesel or gas, oil smells the same when it burns. If you're seeing fuel smoke, then it could be stuck injectors. Especially if it sat for a while. You might try running a compression test to see what the internal condition of the engine is. You need to be aware that a diesel engine will have compression readings in the 300 to 600 PSI range, and get a suitable compression gauge. Typically (but by no means always) if the engine starts well and responds to the throttle well the compression is going to be OK.
Yea it started well. Actually the starter was bad so we popped the clutch, but once it ran, it seemed to be ok. I will look into a compression. Will look more into it after the thanksgiving break. Have some other things going on.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Are you sure the starter was actually bad and a cylinder wasnt hydrolocked from cavitaton?

Reactions: dutyhole

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Starter is bad. Removed it and applied battery to it. No good! Definitely bad. Even after the truck was running there was nothing there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would drag and drop the video, but I have windows 8....I've had it for 2+ years now and still don't know how to do these simple things.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Any ideas? On another forum, but trying to get some other opinions.
Watch what you decide to take for advice on another forum. For instance, you can read 40 different mostly hilarious opinions on prelubing a newly overhauled engine and all 40 never spent a minute working in a diesel truck shop. At least a few of us here have worked in diesel shops full time for a living and we may not know it all, but we've sure as hell seen it all and can't help but have a wide range of experience. You don't get that tinkering around in the driveway on a pickup now and then and parroting what gets passed around on a forum.
As far as a smoking complaint, the first thing an International truck dealership diagnosis sheet recommends (I worked in one at one time) is block off the CDR valve and check for excessive blowby with a manometer. If out of spec, that immediately tells you if you're dealing with a worn out engine, shot rings, broken rings, scored cyl walls, etc. which is usually the case, rather than wasting time trying this or that on items that don't enter into the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts