The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
several weeks ago I brought my 1990 f350 out of retirement. Ive been running it once every other month for the past 4yrs. Im going to sell her so I put 2 new battery's in and started it up... oops didnt start. but it started 2 days ago? So I thought it was time to replace glow plugs and glow plug controller. Cranked it over... no fire. Ive had probs in the past with air in the fuel line so I installed an electric fuel pump long ago. I took the air cleaner off and poured so diesel dowwn the throat while turning over. nothing. Even tried wd40, nope. Not even a sign of smoke coming out of pipes. One odd thing about this truck different then the others I have is when you turn the key on it has always clicked eight or ten times then stops but amp gauge goes down and doesnt bounce. This was my first 1ton so I didnt think anything of it but none of my other truck do that.
to day it is 75 outside so dont think GP's necessity anyway. Thinking electrical with all ive done so I dont think it can be fuel related. Ideas on what to check next. Thanks, KD

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a 93 turbo that has a air leak, that I have not gotten fixed yet. Sometimes it starts right up and other will start and die then have to crank awhile to start. Have you cracked a fuel line at the filter to see the transfer pump is pumping. Or even at the injector while trying to start. would also check that getting power to the glow plugs. Pretty simple system , power and fuel should start.

·
Registered
360 Posts
" I took the air cleaner off and poured so diesel down the throat while turning over."
Never pour anything down the intake of a diesel.
It won't make it start, and it may bend connecting rods.
WD-40 no longer uses propane as the propellant, so that is out also.
If (and only "if") you have NO POWER to the glow plugs, you can try starting fluid. Just a little bit while cranking.
Don't soak the air filter with half a can of ether, then catch the whole mess on fire, & say I told you to*do this.
Can you see the voltage gauge on the dashboard deflect to the left as the glow plugs cycle? If not, start there.
Amp gauge not bouncing says the plugs are not working.
No smoke says air in the pump, probably time for o-rings on the injector caps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts