The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,
I'm looking at a 1990 Ford F250 7.3 IDI with a 5spd manual. Can it tow close to what my 1999 F350 PSD with 4spd automatic can tow? I've seen where automatics can tow a few thousand more pounds so I know it won't be exact.
Plus if I put some 1 ton springs on it can the rest of it handle the additional load? I want a f350 but finding an f350 IDI with an extended cab in my area is like trying to find an unicorn & I don't want a standard or crew cab.
I know later f250 & f350 super duties use same frame & drivetrain but I haven't found any info about the earlier ones.
Basically, I want to turn this f250 into a "f350" truck but only if it can handle it safely. The main thing is towing.
I appreciate any info.
Jack

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The idi wont hold a candle to the powerstroke....
Especially since you didn't mention it being turbo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Nope, no turbo. I'm aware it won't be the same. At this point I'm not looking for speed, just muscle. That's my big concern, can it handle the weight. If I need to do something quick I got the 350 psd.
Thanks again.
J

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
That's my big concern, can it handle the weight. If I need to do something quick I got the 350 psd.
You've posted twice now and have yet to say what the weight is?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry about that. I mean the weight that a 1 ton can handle. Is the 1990 f250 frame & axles the same as the f350 from that era like they are on the later super duties so it could withstand up to the 1 ton cargo.
The more important thing would be the towing. 12k - 14k towing a couple of times a year for < then 100 miles each trip.
Thanks
J

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I wouldnt even think about putting 12,000 pounds behind a non turbo 7.3 IDI.

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
It's all a matter of weight distribution. I've pulled 11,000 & 12,000 lbs. gross loaded trailer weight (not including 6000 truck weight) and there was no way my pickup itself was overloaded due to having proper weight on my trailer's 7000 lb. axles. However, years ago I got roped into pulling a goofy designed Sooner or other high dollar brand LONG gooseneck horse trailer with living quarters. When I set it down on the ball, my truck really sat down in the rear because the trailer axles were at the very back. It only held 2 horses side by side at the rear and that's where the axles were.
But like Chuckster57 said, 12000 is a decent load, even with a turbo, wouldn't want to do it every day unless it was all flat country.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am under the opinion that the axles on the F250 vs. the F350 were the same. The diff was in the suspension which can be modified to equal that of the F350? Perhaps that has changed over the years of the IDI?

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
If I remember right, the later F-250's have coils in the front, right? I wouldn't want any stiffer suspension on my old '91 4X4, it rides like a board as it is. Stock from the factory there's only 3/4" to 1" front spring travel until they hit the bumper stops on the frame.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Depends what setup it has.
4wd vs 2wd, cab/bed configuration play a part in what suspension/axles you have.
Iirc, the F350 will either have the D60 (for 4wd) or the monobeam for 2wd. I think I've seen coils on the monobeam, all d60 will have leaf springs.
Now on the TTB setups, I think for the trucks, they all had leafs as well.
The coils for pickups didn't come out til after 04 or so, I think.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I've pulled 12000 pounds with my non turbo F-350. It worked its butt off, and I wouldn't want to do it every day, but it did it. Couldn't make more than 40 MPH, an forget 5th gear even exists. If I recall right the 250 has lighter leaf springs uder it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts