The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked everywhere and can't find anything on the spring code of 93a. Getting ready to do ball joints here in a couple weeks and realized there's a couple different sizes depending on the front suspension weight rating. Even my 4400 lb gawr for the front is not referenced by the ball joint manufacturers. They specify weight ratings under 4,000 lb and then 4,600 lb.

1990 f250 ext cab, 4wd, dana 50 ttb, 7.3 idi, 2 leafs in front.

· Registered
2,553 Posts
The ball joints are not specific to the springs; nor vice versa. I think all Dana50IFSs use the same ball joints - they're just hard to find anywhere. This is mine:

(click this text)

I haven't needed to change its BJs yet, but I THINK the upper is MotorCraft MCS10339/Ford F6TZ3V049AA/Spicer 2001257 and the lower is Ford F6TZ3050EA,F6TZ3050GA/Spicer 47183.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got off the phone with a very helpful parts counter guy at the local Ford dealer. My VIN number happens to be one of the ones they cannot retrieve the info on. However he was able to access Ford's flowchart to use when that situation occurs on the older models. There's four different ball joints that were a possibility. It depends if you have the 7.3 diesel, it depends if you have the extended cab, it depends if you have semi floating or full floating rear differential, limited slip rear differential or not,7 four-wheel drive and strangely if it happens to be the lariat package. He came up with the proper lower ball joint but it is been discontinued, but it does cross reference over to another Motorcraft ball joint. He was able to determine that the label inside my driver's door is incorrect. There was never a 4400 lb weight rating front axle. Based on the answers to the above items he determined it's a 4600 lb front axle... that one error on the ID label created quite the headache. He said the lower ball joint was about $79 and he'd have to order it, but suggested l cross reference the part number with something like Moog. That really shocked me coming from a dealership. Apparently the upper ball joints are consistent across all the weight ratings.

Fortunately my vin label did not show the code for a special order vehicle. On a vehicle that was special ordered he said you need to access the metal tag on the front differential that hopefully is still there which will have a code printed on it to reference what was installed.

· Registered
2,553 Posts
My VIN number happens to be one of the ones they cannot retrieve the info on.
I don't think they can decode anything older than '96. You should put ALL the truck's details & history (as much as you know) into your signature so it shows with each post, as this page explains:

(click this text)

Phone apps don't always show signatures, so you may need to switch to a real browser in desktop mode on your phone, or just use a desktop/laptop computer. Put your location (nearest city) in your profile & upload an avatar of the truck. The more pics you post (NOT in your sig) of the truck, engine, wiring, labels, & undercarriage, the more likely we can help you. Not all its details are relevant to these issues, but you don't necessarily know which ones are relevant, so just put everything in now.
There's four different ball joints that were a possibility.
What are their PNs? All lower BJs?
He came up with the proper lower ball joint but it is been discontinued, but it does cross reference over to another Motorcraft ball joint.
What's that PN?
Apparently the upper ball joints are consistent across all the weight ratings.
What's that PN?
...the metal tag on the front differential that hopefully is still there which will have a code printed on it to reference what was installed.
This explains how to read that tag, and links to more data.

(click this text)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will update the info on the profile once I get home on a regular browser. The mobile version doesn't seem to allow it.

The no longer available lower ball joint is part number E3TZ3050A, and the recommended substitute that is available is part number MCSOE90.

Apparently there were a lot of F250s built in late 1989 that incorrectly show a 4400 lb front axle gross weight rating. The parts guy was able to confirm that they never had such a rating on the front axles.

I will be replacing the upper and lower ball joints on both sides with Moog, K80026 on the uppers and K8435 for the lowers.

Front differential makes excessive noise at speed, so I've also ordered a Spicer master rebuild kit and I'll go through the entire front end with tie rods and all. Replaced the calipers and front disc rotors, hub bearings, locking hubs and pilot bearings last year so that's all good to go. Was actually hoping the noise was from the hub bearings but no such luck.

· Registered
2,553 Posts
The parts guy was able to confirm...
You should take that with a grain of salt. Parts guys have access to a lot of useful & interesting information. But just like the label on your truck, NOT everything that the parts guy reads is 100% accurate. Did you find your front axle tag & research it on the Dana website?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol, tore the whole front axle out of it and found the axle tag. Bearings looked rather worn, but rather evenly worn across all the bearings. I almost missed a camouflage axle tag. Rusted in place after 33 years.
Wood Beige Artifact Concrete Font

Posted up with a wire wheel, surprised to find it was still readable.
Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Composite material Font

Lots of credit to those who took step by step pictures on their tear down and reassembly. I probably would have gone through 300 pairs of Nitro gloves to keep taking them off and put them back on to do that. Anyway, considering the age of some of these parts have been together, I only had a few that put up a fight. Probably the usual culprits, the pivot bushings of course. Much easier on the bench with air tools. Passenger side knuckle took a couple full blows with an 8 lb Sledge. The grease and all the ball joints had turned to dark powder. Same for the original U-joints in the front axle. One bearing race took 18 tons to get a pressed in. That one had me worried. Used all Timken bearings, identical to what I pulled out. This truck doesn't get a lot of use, maybe 2500 miles per year. Either when it snows, we use it to pull the boat to the lake, and pull our dump trailer around. It's nothing special to look at, it's just been super reliable and very useful. Figured after 5 years of using it I could justify putting a little money into it, LOL.

All of the races look pretty much like this one, definite wear pattern.

Tire Automotive tire Camera lens Tread Fluid

Knew you bolts showed up today so now the fun begins, putting it back together

1 - 8 of 8 Posts