The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am very new to the Diesel engines. I have the opportunity to buy a 1991 F Superduty DRW with the 7.3 Diesel in it. It has 142000 miles on it. It has a 12 ft flatbed on it. I am wanting a Truck to haul my 8900 lb 5th wheel trailer so I will want to change the bed. I can get it for a low price but is the 1991 7.3 a reliable engine? I have heard nothing but good about the 7.3's but not sure if there were good years and bad years. It says it has 180 hp and 345 ft lbs of torque which I believe would not have a problem pulling the 5th wheel. Anyone have knowledge about this year of engines? I heard Diesels can go 300000 miles. Is this true?

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Hello, I am very new to the Diesel engines. I have the opportunity to buy a 1991 F Superduty DRW with the 7.3 Diesel in it. It has 142000 miles on it. It has a 12 ft flatbed on it. I am wanting a Truck to haul my 8900 lb 5th wheel trailer so I will want to change the bed.
Sounds like it's broke in good. Don't they have fifth wheels for flatbeds?

I can get it for a low price but is the 1991 7.3 a reliable engine? I have heard nothing but good about the 7.3's but not sure if there were good years and bad years. It says it has 180 hp and 345 ft lbs of torque which I believe would not have a problem pulling the 5th wheel. Anyone have knowledge about this year of engines?
Reliability is very good if maintenance is kept up. You will want to get some fleetguard test strips from any heavy truck dealer or most tractor dealers and check the coolant for SCA levels. These engines have a weak point which will cause pinholing of the cylinder wall if the proper coolant is not used.

I heard Diesels can go 300000 miles. Is this true?
And then some :)

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
You do not mention what axle ratio or transmission you have..... they will be the deciding factor as to what you can tow......

The info for the above can be found on the data plate on the drivers door post...... get the info and post it here.

If for instance the trans is a C6 with 410 axle that would be a fuel guzzler ...BUT you can improve fuel mileage with a Gear Vendors or axle gear change.

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
You didn't state if it has the automatic or 5 speed. If it's the 5 speed, with its ratios it actually makes a better tow vehicle with the higher 3:55 rear end than the 4:10's.
The engine/truck is as reliable as the preventative maintanance/care it gets. My '91 has 243,000 miles on it with a LOT of towing and has needed no internal work so far. I only had the valve covers off once and that was to retorque the heads when I installed a turbo system in '93. Of course there's normal maintanance stuff like water pumps, injectors, drainback lines, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
91 ford 7.3, suddenly lost power nd quit. No running since. Seems to have lost compression. Could it be timing chain? Any videos on how to change?

Bill in Oregon

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
1991 7.3L IDI Diesel reliabilty

Seems to have lost compression? Without a compression test your just spittin into the wind.

It may have lost power to the fuel shut off solenoid if it just suddenly died, or the lift pump may have split the internal diaphragm.

It sounds like you need to do some basic tests to determine the issue(s).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Replaced glow plugs, relay and controller, fuel return lines on my 1991 Ford F250 diesel. Bled the lines and pump works. "Wait to Start" light won't light up and truck won't start. What am I missing? Many thanks.
Egghead

·
Registered
179 Posts
Replaced glow plugs, relay and controller, fuel return lines on my 1991 Ford F250 diesel. Bled the lines and pump works. "Wait to Start" light won't light up and truck won't start. What am I missing? Many thanks.
Egghead
Have you checked to see if you have power at the glow plug solenoid and if getting power through it with key on? could be a bad solenoid or even controller.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts