The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I am ordering new fueltank straps for my F250 tomorrow from canadian tire, I was wondering if anyone knew the tank sizes?
Their parts database indicates a 19 or a 16 gallon side mount tank,
and a 19 gallon rear tank. How can I distinguish if my front tank is a 16 or 19 gallon?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Long bed would have a 19-gallon front tank. Unless it's a plastic tank (rare), which would be 22-ish gallons and have completely different (very hard to find, evidently) straps.

Rear tank has no straps. The skid plates hold (and rust) the tank directly.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Just for info not that it matters, all were long bed. No need to specify long bed. If I went to buy parts for a 1992 F250 and they asked me whether it was shortbed or longbed I would go elsewhere. Taste in 1992 had not deteriorated to the short bed configuration. Good times in trucks, want a shortbed? Buy a Ranger or F150. No place for a shortbed in a HD truck.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
If I went to buy parts for a 1992 F250 and they asked me whether it was shortbed or longbed I would go elsewhere.
Why would you go elsewhere, ever worked in a truck dealership? You actually expect a parts man who deals with thousands of parts, brands and models, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton and compacts to know off the top of his head if a particular 24 year old F250 pickup had only one body style. To make their job even easier our local Ford dealership carries the complete Dodge/Chrysler line in addition to Fords and Jeep. Any parts man nowadays has my sympathy, not ridicule.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys, my truck has a plastic tank, it looked much too large to be a 16 gallon, I ordered 19 gallon straps and they were not the right part. Anyone have any good advice on the 22 gallon straps for up here in Canada? I will likely try the Ford dealership on Friday as that's my next day off. Also I had not seen a 92 with a short bed but I know there's always rarities, we don't have a lot of early 90s trucks left on the road here, the salt eats them. The Ontario snow removal contractors also introduced a new type of de icing fluid for the roads that'll take a fresh body job right off you're car

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
I think tank sizes slightly varied from year to year and model to model. Without digging out my original owner's manual, my '91 Supercab F250 has something like a 19 gallon front tank and the rear is about 2 gallons less, plastic also IIRC. For straps you might have to search out companies that make tanks for specialized trucks like utility, power companies, etc. IH midsized trucks came with various step tanks (under the driver's door with a recessed step) and saddle tanks but I can't remember the brand name.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Anyone have any good advice on the 22 gallon straps for up here in Canada?
If you can't buy them, make them. Any decent fabrication shop can cut a couple of strips of ~11ga; put a tiny break along each edge; fold it over & drill it for the bolt; then carve it to match the shape that keyholes into the frame. But I started with a JY strap & just shortened it for this:

Can you modify those "wrong" straps to work?
I think tank sizes slightly varied from year to year and model to model.
These 2 charts came from the service manual:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Hmm, something just occurred to me. Just to be sure, look again carefully at the tank. Look behind the skid plate, if so equipped. The 4x4 trucks with a front skid plate also had a plastic "nose cone" slipped onto the front of the tank. **MAYBE** you're seeing that, and thinking it's a plastic tank. As said, the plastic tank is very rare, and IIRC, for whatever reason, it was only offered on automatic trucks. So look up inside the skid plate, just to confirm the tank itself is plastic.

If you're on any of the other forum sites, look for member diesel_brad, aka BradBilt. He posted a while back looking for a set of straps for the plastic tank. I forget how (if) it turned out. Maybe he found a source. Or maybe (knowing Brad) he found a way to fab some.

Hmm, waitaminit. Check out this diagram - FUEL SYSTEM COMPONENTS for 1992 Ford F-350 . Tank is refered to as "23 gallon", and the pic def. looks like a plastic tank. And the straps are longer than the 19-gallon tank straps. The 19-gallon steel tank actually takes two different lengths of strap, so just by the fact that this diagram shows two straps with the same number, I'll bet those are the ones. And evidently available, since there's a price associated with them. Autonation White Bear Lake used to be Tousley Ford; they've been supporters of the various truck forums, and seem to carry a lot of parts for our older trucks for prices that are pretty good for OEM.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the quick responses guys,
So I talked to my local Napa lady today and they dont have anything larger than the 19 in their system, same with the local ford dealer. She offered to do some digging but I am willing to bet it may be fruitless. Madpogue that diagram is the correct setup on my truck. Two U shaped straps, one is mounted on a slight angle. The plastic tank is very large, especially when compared to my rear tank which I believe was only offered in 19 gallon. I do not have the skid plate or nose cone though, just the exhaust/driveshaft shield. Now that I have the Part number from the Fuel system component chart the parts lady should be able to track it down as she said that was all she needed. And Steve83 I will fabricate them if she cant find the parts. The truck will hopefully be going in for the safety on monday and I only have a small amount of sheet steel left that I have reserved for my rocker and cab corner. I have some angle iron that would make a sturdy set of straps, however the mechanic might see that as a no go on the safety. They tend to be picky around my neck of the woods, and they have become even more picky with the new laws coming into effect on July 1st this year, safety inspections are now going to be a 96 page checklist and no one wants to be Tied to defects, every mechanic I know is on edge for the MTO safety audits. Ps. not sure if I am supposed to tag members usernames, this is my first thread on a forum, I just got this account the other day.
I will update when i hear back about the parts.
Thank you

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a Quick thought, what is the likelihood that the tank was taken from a 350? The box itsself is not original to the truck it is off of something in better shape, Im thinking it may be possible the PO had a parts f350 and thats where the tank and the box came from

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
F250 and F350 had the same tank choices. They were essentially the same truck, except for the suspension.

Have you checked how much shipping would be on those straps from Autonation? They typically beat the local dealer's price, even with shipping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts