The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a school bus and got these 2 options. Can anyone give me some input on best option?
Both 28ft & asking 7K

- 2005 Freightliner Thomas
C7 Caterpillar - 190 HP
Allison Automatic
Air Brakes
199miles - diesel engine

- 1992 International 3800 7.3L IDI 185 Horsepower
Manual Spicer 5-speed transmission - diesel engine
Under 40k miles

·
Premium Member
14,834 Posts
Both are great engines, but the C7 is going to run circles around the IDI 7.3. Plus, it is 13 years younger so a lot less age related issues on the whole chassis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both are great engines, but the C7 is going to run circles around the IDI 7.3. Plus, it is 13 years younger so a lot less age related issues on the whole chassis.

Good to know; i wasn't aware the C7 is much superior to the 7.3L. As per the age, the 7.3L hasn't been used much, very low mileage. Used only during summer. That's why I was considering the comparison.

·
Premium Member
14,834 Posts
Yeah, but it’s a 500,000 mile rated motor. That’s the average time between rebuilds. The C7 is a true heavy duty motor. It has wet liners meaning an in frame rebuild is possible. It was still a HUEI motor until 2007 so you don’t have to worry about common rail issues. The 7.3 is a good motor, but underpowered for a school bus. It has a history of cavitation issues. The International DT466 would be an equivalent motor in that brand. It’s a no-brainer in my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, but it’s a 500,000 mile rated motor. That’s the average time between rebuilds. The C7 is a true heavy duty motor. It has wet liners meaning an in frame rebuild is possible. It was still a HUEI motor until 2007 so you don’t have to worry about common rail issues. The 7.3 is a good motor, but underpowered for a school bus. It has a history of cavitation issues. The International DT466 would be an equivalent motor in that brand. It’s a no-brainer in my opinion.

Awesome! I really appreciate your input. C7 it is!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome! I really appreciate your input. C7 it is!!!

Rt...what do you think would be a fair price for the 1992 7.3L?

·
Premium Member
14,834 Posts
Rt...what do you think would be a fair price for the 1992 7.3L?
I don’t have a feel for that. I’d start at about half what the newer one is going for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts