The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a school bus and got these 2 options. Can anyone give me some input on best option?
Both 28ft & asking 7K

- 2005 Freightliner Thomas
C7 Caterpillar - 190 HP
Allison Automatic
Air Brakes
199miles - diesel engine

- 1992 International 3800 7.3L IDI 185 Horsepower
Manual Spicer 5-speed transmission - diesel engine
Under 40k miles

·
Premium Member
15,241 Posts
Both are great engines, but the C7 is going to run circles around the IDI 7.3. Plus, it is 13 years younger so a lot less age related issues on the whole chassis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both are great engines, but the C7 is going to run circles around the IDI 7.3. Plus, it is 13 years younger so a lot less age related issues on the whole chassis.

Good to know; i wasn't aware the C7 is much superior to the 7.3L. As per the age, the 7.3L hasn't been used much, very low mileage. Used only during summer. That's why I was considering the comparison.

·
Premium Member
15,241 Posts
Yeah, but it’s a 500,000 mile rated motor. That’s the average time between rebuilds. The C7 is a true heavy duty motor. It has wet liners meaning an in frame rebuild is possible. It was still a HUEI motor until 2007 so you don’t have to worry about common rail issues. The 7.3 is a good motor, but underpowered for a school bus. It has a history of cavitation issues. The International DT466 would be an equivalent motor in that brand. It’s a no-brainer in my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, but it’s a 500,000 mile rated motor. That’s the average time between rebuilds. The C7 is a true heavy duty motor. It has wet liners meaning an in frame rebuild is possible. It was still a HUEI motor until 2007 so you don’t have to worry about common rail issues. The 7.3 is a good motor, but underpowered for a school bus. It has a history of cavitation issues. The International DT466 would be an equivalent motor in that brand. It’s a no-brainer in my opinion.

Awesome! I really appreciate your input. C7 it is!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome! I really appreciate your input. C7 it is!!!

Rt...what do you think would be a fair price for the 1992 7.3L?

·
Premium Member
15,241 Posts
Rt...what do you think would be a fair price for the 1992 7.3L?
I don’t have a feel for that. I’d start at about half what the newer one is going for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'79 F350 xlt extra cab 7.3 auto dually. Stock. 240,000. Bought new.
27 Posts
any follow up on this? I am currently in same situation,looking to buy the Cat C7 on a Freightliner chasis school bus. All the others I have looked at have been the 7.3 or the 6.0
Cat
Wear it out, (500,000 or so) then drop in new liners, pistons and roll in some bearings. Get the head done, and you're down the road for another 500k. 2 days for the in-frame in my driveway with no air tools. 4 days for the head. $3,000ish? total. Did injectors about a month later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts