The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if I have any onboard diagnostics for my 1992 E350 IDI 7.3L w/E4OD. I know that there is a computer for the tranny, don't know if there is one managing anything on the engine itself. I can't find a diagnostics port either.
I expect to have this camper for quite a while and am trying to learn as much as possible about it.
I need the info as I am dealing with harsh shift on the E4OD. I know a few things I need to check, the TPS and VSS so far.
I can't really even do that till I weld up some decent wheel ramps. It's just a lil too close to the ground for me.
All help welcome!
George

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, also- the RV is about 22 feet long. It has right at 40k miles on it. Dual tires. Runs GREAT! Sometimes the OD switch/light on the steering column stalk blinks.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the O/D light blinks because is a problem with the transmission.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
There is a port, it's under the hood. The computer only runs the transmission, nothing on the engine is computer controlled.

The light is blinking because SOMETHING is wrong with the transmission system. You need to get the code and find out what it is before it turns into a major problem.

Here's some info about the port and how to read the codes: Ford OBD Trouble Codes –

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Mark, could you direct me a lil closer to the diagnostic port? I have looked all over under the hood, plus on the web.

I think I should be able to read the code via the blinking light but I don't know how to put it into that mode. Think right now it simply blinks.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Mark, could you direct me a lil closer to the diagnostic port? I have looked all over under the hood, plus on the web.
Do you know what it looks like? Try this link for a picture of the connector. It doesn't look at all like the OBDII ports. Ford OBD Trouble Codes –

I think I should be able to read the code via the blinking light but I don't know how to put it into that mode. Think right now it simply blinks.
This link shows how to put it in self test mode. Ford OBD Trouble Codes –

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
> Do you know what it looks like?
IIRC I have only seen an ink drawing such as the one in your link. I haven't seen a photo.

I was just out at my camper poking around, looking everywhere. I have been a motorcycle and/or foreign car mechanic several times in my career, I've built up lots of engines. So I am not terribly confused by things under the hood. This vehicle is new to me so certain connectors and wire bundles are a puzzle so far. I have been looking for this port for quite a while. I know when I finally find it it will be a double-face-slapper fer sure.

I have read 'look here for it' hints several times. I don't see it under the brake cylinder. It isn't on the driver's side by the hood spring or hinge (no spring there). I can't find it under the dash. I have looked almost everywhere! There are those neat chambers under the entry step treads, for your stash or something. Ain't in there.

I just saw a square plug, about 3/4" across, by the driver's side edge of the radiator but it is shaped wrong. Cap is finned, no words on it. I bought a coupla pounds of EOM wiring diagrams and I gotta say they look like they were penned by the student intern in the accountant's office. SO hard to use. I'm not too bad at reading schematics, I have a BS in digital electronics, but I just have trouble with this stuff. And they are all Ford but in several styles. <sigh> So I doubt I can just look up this plug on the diagram and identify it.

I am enjoying this puzzle, I have been reading HUNDREDS of posts in several forums. I am learning a lot, but looking forward to actually having the tranny shift smooth. I sure love driving my 7.3L's!

I have:
1992 E350 7.3L E4OD dually RV, 40k miles
1990 F250 4x4 long-bed x-cab 7.3L ZF 5-spd 4x4, 130k mile.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
Here's an image of the connector. I haven't found a photo of the location.
Google Image Result for http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JHFS1bKnL._SY355_.jpg

It is under the hood. If you're looking anywhere other than under the hood you're not going to find it. It's been years since I sold m '94 E-350, but I think I remember it on the driver's side of the engine compartment. It may have a plastic cover over it that says EEC-IV.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
In the trucks it's located on the drivers side near the rear of the fender well. There may be a cover it is slipped into making it look like a big sensor.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found it in left/front under hood, under left battery, dangling hidden. It has a flexible strap-mount but was torn loose and unsupported.
I have already bought a cheap reader, now I can go play with it. I know there are other ways, and maybe better. I'll know in a few.

Thank you all again for your help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts