The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been a lurking member here since March of 2011 and have resolved all kinds of issues with my wife's 12 passenger 92 e350, many thanks to all for the help.I have few complaints with the van. I bought it new in 93 and it has been everywhere but I have always coveted the serpentine belt arrangement on the newer engines. Is there any reason that my 92 couldn't, shouldn't be fitted with a serpentine belt? I am less worried about time or cost, just, can it work? There are a few posts that mention this topic, just trying to get more info.

I am not a professional but there has never been a task on any vehicle that I have not been able to handle, so I thought I would get some advice from those with more exposure, training, and experience before I start taking things apart. Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

Jon
e350xlt

This is my wife's van and she has said that it would probably be easier for me to have a girlfriend than to get rid of her van. I have decided not to try either. :smile2:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have an E350 RV, specs say 1992 but year-sold is 95. I guess it takes time to assemble the RV and sell it. I do have the serpentine belt, appears to be bone stock on there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an E350 RV, specs say 1992 but year-sold is 95. I guess it takes time to assemble the RV and sell it. I do have the serpentine belt, appears to be bone stock on there.
That wouldn't be a Lazy Daze would it?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Has one thought of the down sides of a single belt?
If that belt does go south the whole thing is brought to a stand still.

If there are a number of belts, one for the alt and one for the power steering and then the one for the water pump , should the alt goes south one could use the power steering belt to get home. Or some other idea could be used to make a temp repair to get to a shop or parts store.

The single belt while might in some circles be a good idea has a number of down falls.

Just saying.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
The engine has the mounting holes and everything for it. What you really need in order to do it, at least with any ease, is a donor van with all the parts that you can just grab. Trying to find and buy all the parts separatley and then get all the correct mounting hardware for the accessories would be near impossible nowadays. However, finding a 93-94 diesel van with all the parts on it is probably near impossible as well now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
> That wouldn't be a Lazy Daze would it?

No not a Lazy, it's a Gulfstream.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Alaskapsdvan said:
If that belt does go south the whole thing is brought to a stand still.
It is easy to stow an extra serpentine. SO much easier to change out. And I may be wrong but it seems to me they last longer anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts