The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

1992 F250 7.3l ZF5 with an Arrowcraft dually conversion. 214k HARD miles from the previous owner, this truck was worked a lot.

Okay the situation I'm currently having is that when I recently bought it (for $600), everything worked just fine. The ignition lock cylinder was broken so you could turn the motor over without a key but it always started. The whole glowplug system is currently hacked apart and disconnected so I'd just been starting it on a shot of ether until I can go through the glowplugs. However, last week I went to move it in my driveway and it started right up and then died abruptly. No power to the FSS. Jumping the FSS let it run just fine. I took it down to my shop but realized that now the radio, the wipers, and all of the gauges except the speedo don't work. All exterior lights and the blower motor work fine. Horn "works" (the relay clicks but the horn itself is broken but it always was).

Something happened that day I started it up in the driveway to move it but I can't figure out what. Did my ignition switch fail? The truck still cranks but when you put the key in position two the digital odometer turns on for a second, then turns off, then comes back on. I tried putting an autozone one in but that made the problem worse, it wouldn't even crank!

Anyway, any insight is appreciated. Fusible links off the starter solenoid all tested good, or at least there's 12 volts passing through them okay. But somehow power isn't going to the FSS, cold start advance, glow plug relay... anything on the top of the motor that's supposed to get power NOR any of that accessory stuff I mentioned.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
By your description, the electrical part of the switch failed or the linkage came apart. Mounted on the upper part of the steering column, right around the base of the dashboard trim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you two, those diagrams are helpful. I swapped in another autozone switch which lets me crank but still no luck on any power in key position II or when running. That green and red wire off the switch in the diagram that seems to feed all kinds of stuff has zero voltage in any of the possible positions.

What's the linkage you refer to? With the switch off I can see the slider in the column move all the way forwards and backwards when I rotate the key. Seems like I have a power problem before the switch, if that's possible.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If the starter is turning, the linkage isn't your trouble. Follow your diagrams, and find the voltage source then check for voltage there. If I remember, there is a fusible link coming from the relay on the fender well. One for the electrical system, one for the charging system, and one for the glow plug system. Glow plugs and electrical might be together, I don't remember that part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts