The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 f250, 7.3 non turbo diesel, 5 speed overdrive manual, showing 164,000 on the clock, anytime i let off the fuel from about 1500 rpm and above, with no load (clutch depressed) the engine will "stumble" and die. anything below 1500 and it will usually stay running. new o-rings on all injectors, new fuel filter about 300 miles ago. If it gives any clues, the truck will lose it's prime and require a shot of ether to start when it has sat for anymore than a day. I do all of my own mechanicing, but this is my first diesel.

Thanks for any suggestions
SteveD328

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
It sounds like your injector pump is going to need to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've also been trying to find a good service manual for the truck. I have a manual from the local parts store for the F-250, but it devotes maybe 1 1/2 pages to the diesel variety. I want to find a decent manual before I tear into the pump.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
That pump has to be properly calibrated. Even repair shops don't tear into them, but take them to someone who is set up to rebuild them. I know it costs a lot more to have someone else rebuild, but if you do something wrong that engine can and WILL run away. then you can not only get hurt, you loose an otherwise good engine. If you can find a local re-builder, they can rebuild what you have. The last one I had done was around $400, but it has been quite awhile since I had to do one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I did a little online searching last night after I posted that and found some rebuilt ones in the $450-500 range. Probably worth that just in time savings. I’d still like to find a good service manual though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts