The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place but I'm not a daily user of this website and don't know where I could find a sub-forum as specific as mine but here it is:

I have been having a real hard time with my truck and belt problems. Whether the belt squeak after a while or shreds, I've seen it all. Probably have replaced about 10 belts in 4 years of owning the truck. I fixed the problem for 8 of those shredding occasions and went clean for about 2 years however just recently, my belt jumped and would not stay on. I had the tensioner assembly replaced and pulley's realigned after figuring out that was the problem after shredding those 8 belts (2 years ago).

Just last week, the belt jumped (as stated earlier) and wouldn't fit back on correctly. I installed a brand new tensioner assembly and hoped that would fix the issue. It did, however my tensioner is severely misaligned. Still, after putting that assembly on with a new belt, no squeak, no jumps--it seemed to work. Just this evening, I was making a turn and accelerating, after I got into 90% of the turn, I let off on the accelerator and my steering wheel stuttered and my lights came on--indicating (as I so well know from doing this so many times) that my belt had jumped.

I went to Autozone and bought a new power-steering pump because while the pulley turns with hand, it is not smooth (as it should be). The reservoir leaks pretty bad anyways and because its 27 years old, I figured I might as well get a new one. I'm hoping the power-steering pump is the culprit in all of this but I still cannot feel 100% about driving my truck while knowing how misaligned my tensioner is. I think the previous owner might have messed up the area where the bolt that holds the tensioner in fits. I could put a washer on the back of the tensioner to see if I can straighten the pulley just enough for it to be aligned but I really don't know where to go from here.

I feel I've got real good knowledge on my truck after driving it for almost 5 years and I have a gut-feeling that it isn't just the power-steering pump that is causing my belts to jump. I'm concerned that it's something to do with the tensioner assembly but I really don't know what else to do after installing a brand new assembly and idler pulley. I've had these belt problems ever since I bought this truck and I really just never know what to do after I get to this point in the situation.

Sometimes I just want to buy a new engine block so that I don't have this minor of an issue, lol. Might as well cummins-swap while I'm at it. 😂

Any ideas are appreciated. If you need more information that could maybe garner a better understanding of my situation for your opinion, let me know. I'm open to any and all ideas.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
You're on the right track. If I recall they made a couple of tensioners for it. Is it possible you have the wrong one? You might also check the idler pulley for proper alignment. I once had a power steering pulley start working itself off the shaft. I cured that by putting a bolt and washer in the threaded hole used for pressing it onto the shaft. If everything appears to be lined up, I would try that and see what happens.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts