The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im at a loss.
This is what I have....1994.5 powerstroke will not start.
The truck died pulling into my driveway.
The Tach reads +/- 250 rpm, replaced cps same results.
Unplugged icp no change.
Truck has 40 psi fuel pressure while cranking.
Towed the truck to Deisel shop to see if they could get codes.
They said the scanner was saying refer to connector in engine bay.
I pulled the IDM connector and checked the wiring to and from the injectors back to the connector. They ohm'd at 2.8 and 2.9.
I have PCM power to the IDM with the key on.
All fuses are good.
BTW glow plugs are good, I get a WTS (wait to start) light.

Now here is were i got confused.
I put a mechanical gauge on passenger side oil test port and get over 3000 psi while cranking. *** why so high?
No Start, No Smoke.
Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
94's can be a little different. From the factory they had both the OBD-I port in the engine bay and the OBD-II port under the dash. The OBD-II port was not initially active, although it did have power to it. Many 94's got reprogrammed (reflashed) to later programs (such as an ALF4) when the truck was in for service that activated the OBD-II port. So yours may be active or not. Is the CEL illuminated?

Does the ICP connection have oil in it?
Is there 5V on the Brown wire with White Stripe for the ICP, EBP, CPS, MAP, BARO, or TPS sensors (any one will work)?
Possibly the IPR has some trash in it causing it stick???

Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CEL comes on when I turn key to the on position then goes out shortly after. No oil leak at icp. I have voltage 12v at the IDM connector pin #14 which comes from the pcm with key in the on position. I will have to check for the 5v at the sensors when I get off work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have pulled and rebuilt IPR. I have gone through the fuel bowl, FPR, cleaned all screens and rebuilt the fuel bowl wiring as the old wiring was still good but deteriorating do to a previous fuel leak from the vacuum switch. Replaced fuel lines to and from fuel bowl to fuel pump. Ordered a new Filter stand pipe which should be in by Monday through local International dealer, the old one was all torn up from what looked like the use of pliers.

·
Registered
783 Posts
If you have 3000 psi oil pressure and 40 psi fuel pressure, you should be making lots of diesel-smelling smoke - unless the injectors are not getting the signal to fire. If you have a friend with a similar truck, you could test your IDM by swapping with him.

For certain 3000 psi sounds high, but I would take that as a positive as it demonstrates nearly all of your high oil pressure components are tight and working. It's possible your IPR was stuck, but 3000 psi would not keep it from starting nor making smoke.

If it were me, my attention would be on the electrical side of the injectors. Check the ground on your IDM first, shake it and listen for water inside.

For the problem(s) you are having, Patrick Feeley is your friend! :)

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
Ordered a new Filter stand pipe which should be in by Monday through local International dealer, the old one was all torn up from what looked like the use of pliers.
This happens when people don't realize the standpipe is left hand thread :)

Also comes from not using the correct tool, in this case a crows foot wrench.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have checked the wiring from the idm to the injectors and back to the idm per GB tech #103 here is the link
http://www.gbreman.com/techbulletin_103.html
everything checked out good. I have popped open the idm and looked for any signs of damage. The idm had previously been opened/possibly reman'd as the cover was bent in a few places. What pin is the ground for the IDM?

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
I would see if your IDM works in someone else's 7.3 or try and find a known good one to try in yours. After that I would be probably have the PCM checked out and possibly reflashed if it hasn't already, so you can really test things. When you said you rebuilt the IPR, what did that entail? Just new O-rings or actually pulling the internals apart? Cheers!

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
What kind of HP oil pressure do you get with the IPR unplugged? Cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts