The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good day gentlemen . i am facing a challenge. the issue is that the headlight, parking lights stays on as long as the battery car connected
these are the troubleshooting i have done and the conclusion was that the fuel solenoid might have shorted internally

1. disconnected the head light push/pull switch = lights still on
2. removed 40 amp (#19 headlights) fuse from the engine bay fuse box (above the driver front wheel) = lights still on
3. at this time removed both battery's
4. probed the head light socket (3 pins) + - + center pin to be ground . however found ground pin to be closed circuit in fuse's #22 #12 #7 #6 ( which can not be normal as all fuse's are on a positive platform .
5. disconnected big box connector at firewall and checked fuse box for ground signal closed only in fuse #13 (instrument panel) red wire . traced the red wire all the way into the engine bay passenger side where it branchers off to the fuel solenoid.
6. glow plug relay gets ground at positive terminals "BUSBAR" disconnected the 2 weirs ( wire from the fuse box and the glow plug wiers bank 1 & 2)
7. glow plug relay no longer have ground (-) at positive terminals but glow plug wires have ground (-)
8. traced the fuse box red/green wire back to the back out location and followed the branch out leading to the IP and fuel solenoid. disconnected the 3 plugs for the fuel solenoid and checked glow plug connection at the busbar . GOOD NEWS no more grounded.
9. checked for the 3 connectors on the Fuel solenoid and they seem to be grounded .... thats why i think that the fuel solenoid is internally shorted sending ground back to the fuse box positive terminals

any ideas or did i miss a step that i could do to better pin point

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
You didn't mention the multi-function switch. It sometimes does some strange things too, and the headlight circuit is tied into it.. It also seems that if a solenoid coil was shorted to ground, it would be blowing fuses. The coil is naturally grounded, and with an ohmmeter will always show a complete circuit to ground with a reading for the resistance built into it, but the windings in the coil provide enough resistance to keep it from blowing fuses, unless it short circuits. If there wasn't a circuit to ground, the coil would be "open" and wouldn't operate the plunger in the solenoid, because there wouldn't be any magnetic field to pull it in.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
...the headlight, parking lights stays on as long as the battery car connected
these are the troubleshooting i have done...
2. removed 40 amp (#19 headlights) fuse from the engine bay fuse box (above the driver front wheel) = lights still on
These 2 checks prove that there is some non-factory wiring connected to the headlight & parking light circuits.

What's the truck's history? When did this symptom appear? Does it have an anti-theft or keyless entry system? It would help us help you to see ALL the truck's details & history in your signature as this caption explains:

(phone app link)

The MFS can only power the high beams (flash-to-pass via PDB fuse C 30A); not the low beams or parking lights.
...the conclusion was that the fuel solenoid might have shorted internally
No, the fuel solenoid is not part of the headlamp or parking lamp circuits. Most of your other checks are meaningless, and you misinterpreted their results.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
But a loose connection on the MFS caused my headlights to fail completely, until I hit another bump in the road. I found it after I replaced the headlight switch, and didn't fix the trouble. I started checking everything connected to the headlight circuit. Found the plug to the MFS loose, tightened it up, and haven't had any trouble since then. I'm thinking that there could be a bleed through in the switch itself causing this problem too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good day gentlemen . i am facing a challenge. the issue is that the headlight, parking lights stays on as long as the battery car connected
these are the troubleshooting i have done and the conclusion was that the fuel solenoid might have shorted internally

3. at this time removed both battery's
4. probed the head light socket (3 pins) + - + center pin to be ground . however found ground pin to be closed circuit in fuse's #22 #12 #7 #6 ( which can not be normal as all fuse's are on a positive platform .
5. disconnected big box connector at firewall and checked fuse box for ground signal closed only in fuse #13 (instrument panel) red wire . traced the red wire all the way into the engine bay passenger side where it branchers off to the fuel solenoid.
6. glow plug relay gets ground at positive terminals "BUSBAR" disconnected the 2 weirs ( wire from the fuse box and the glow plug wiers bank 1 & 2)
7. glow plug relay no longer have ground (-) at positive terminals but glow plug wires have ground (-)
8. traced the fuse box red/green wire back to the back out location and followed the branch out leading to the IP and fuel solenoid. disconnected the 3 plugs for the fuel solenoid and checked glow plug connection at the busbar . GOOD NEWS no more grounded.
9. checked for the 3 connectors on the Fuel solenoid and they seem to be grounded .... thats why i think that the fuel solenoid is internally shorted sending ground back to the fuse box positive terminals

any ideas or did i miss a step that i could do to better pin point

multi functional switch and the push/pull headlight switch was disconnected and the multi connection box plug was disconnected as well . isolating the cabin from all connections

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when i probe the ground of the parking turn front head light socket to the fuse 20 amp its closed circuit

tracing the back of the fuse to red wire

the red wire (2ed from top left) is the one grounded to the ground wire of the light socket. tracers to a plug

disconnect plug . wire with a white tape marker for tracking purposes

the tracking wire leads to 2 placers
1. the glow pug controller
2. fuel shut off solenoid

note : when the above pointed plug is connected the glow plug relay shown above is connected is closed circuit to ground .

when the plug from the FSS (as shown above) is disconnected

* Glow plug relay (terminal shown on pic) is OPEN to ground and
*The fuse 20 amp is OPEN to ground .
*The head light socket ground pin is OPEN to fuse 20 amp

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and the plug connection to the interior of the cab is disconnected for isolation purposes for troubleshooting so i can eliminate the multi functional switch in the steering column and the head light switch

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These 2 checks prove that there is some non-factory wiring connected to the headlight & parking light circuits.

What's the truck's history? When did this symptom appear? Does it have an anti-theft or keyless entry system? It would help us help you to see ALL the truck's details & history in your signature as this caption explains:

(phone app link)

The MFS can only power the high beams (flash-to-pass via PDB fuse C 30A); not the low beams or parking lights.No, the fuel solenoid is not part of the headlamp or parking lamp circuits. Most of your other checks are meaningless, and you misinterpreted their results.
[/QUO

i dont have a history of the vehicle .
looks like the key has a transmitter for a security factory system
but all the above would be eliminated due to disconnecting the cabin wire harness connection at the firewall isn't it .. ?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
But a loose connection on the MFS caused my headlights to fail completely...
This thread isn't about failed headlights - they work. The issue is that they AND the parking lights are POWERED at all times, and the MFS can't do that.

Your problem was an OPEN circuit to the headlights; this issue is at least two SHORT circuits to power.
when i probe the ground of the parking turn front head light socket to the fuse 20 amp its closed circuit...
Irrelevant and meaningless. You're going to keep confusing yourself if you continue with that.
i dont have a history of the vehicle .
I assume you've had it longer than your first post in this thread. And you probably asked 1 or 2 questions before you bought it, right? Put everything you know & can find out about it into your signature, AFTER reading that caption and studying the truck carefully.
looks like the key has a transmitter for a security factory system
If you had posted a photo of THAT, we might be able to confirm it. Read this photo album, ignoring all the system letters except J and all remotes except Type 2:

(phone app link)
but all the above would be eliminated due to disconnecting the cabin wire harness connection at the firewall isn't it .. ?
Were the headlights still on after you unplugged the firewall connector (C202)?

(phone app link)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This thread isn't about failed headlights - they work. The issue is that they AND the parking lights are POWERED at all times, and the MFS can't do that.

Your problem was an OPEN circuit to the headlights; this issue is at least two SHORT circuits to power.Irrelevant and meaningless. You're going to keep confusing yourself if you continue with that.I assume you've had it longer than your first post in this thread. And you probably asked 1 or 2 questions before you bought it, right? Put everything you know & can find out about it into your signature, AFTER reading that caption and studying the truck carefully.If you had posted a photo of THAT, we might be able to confirm it. Read this photo album, ignoring all the system letters except J and all remotes except Type 2:

(phone app link)
Were the headlights still on after you unplugged the firewall connector (C202)?

(phone app link)

yes! even after i disconnected the firewall connector"s ALL lights are on. thats why i belived the short is externel to the cabin

also all the connectors to the transmission (3) were disconnected as well.... ALL LIGHTS STILL ON!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
even after i disconnected the firewall connector"s ALL lights are on.
Follow the harness around the engine bay, checking for damage & modifications. Post lots of pics.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I would start with the start relay (the one on the firewall). Unhook everything on the batt. side of that relay and then hook it all up one at a time until the headlights come on. Then you'll know which circuit/harness to chase down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts