The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great forum, thanks. I am in the process of buying a 95 4x4 7.3 F250 that has been parked for 6 months. Batteries are dead and after charging them I would ike to know what is the best way to start the truck to minimize the wear / damage to the motor. The truck has 165k miles and a new dealer tranny. Don't know when the last oil change was done but the senior that owned it took good care of it, I see a box of Shell rotella sitting on the garage floor.

Reccomendations appreciated.

Thanks.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
14,608 Posts
There really isn't anything easy you could do. You either just crank on it in short bursts until the pressures build up and it starts, or you get a pre-oiler plumbed into the low pressure oil system to push oil through all the bearing journals and then pull the glow plugs and fog the upper cylinders with a light oil. Since its only been six months, I don't think I'd go to all that trouble.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Six months is not very long at all. We have seasonal farm equipment that might sit longer than that and we just start it up when we need it without a second thought. We do a lot of oil analysis and nearly all our wear levels are very low.

·
Premium Member
14,608 Posts
Given that a PowerStroke won't start until oil pressure builds anyway, I'm not sure you need to pull the fuse. I could see doing that on an IDI.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
14,608 Posts
Very true. And the HPOP gets it's oil from where? (Rhetorical question...)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Since you missed it, the important detail for an engine that's been sitting is even distribution throughout the engine.

I will agree that six months isn't a very long time for it to have been sitting.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Can you plug it in ..... First of all.....GPR could be Baked.....Batteries must be good....Oil should be fresh......minimum...fuel filter and Clean FPR Screen......Fresh Diesel.
should start.....then drive it like you stole it....I use seafoam ....I also oil test....

·
Registered
2,945 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,608 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Must be the Xchange rate then....But they are probably the same chit.......your 950 is our 1100 ...I know how to read in 4 languages......they lie to us everyday.......Just look at the Tar Sands Project in Alberta ...
PS: after looking at your link.... I paid less than you ...I got it for 145 on sale ( 40% off )
But it is a Damn good Battery ...I paid 375 for both from Ford 8 years ago and they lasted 4 years Tops... So I have replaced the 65 twice ...and I Just replaced the small one ( Series55) from Ford for 160 ( Napa /Delco wanted 300 ) .....last week..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Costco only had 850cca. Truck runs great, it happens to have a fuel leak coming from the intake tunnel area. It appears that the seals leak on the fuel filter drain valve. Ordered the 3 viton o rings and will have to wait a few days before I drive it.
thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts