The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 CC 4x4 that is having some funny brake issues. I am on my second vac pump and I think it is going south on me. But before I was noticing this, I'll describe what I have happening. If I am setting at a light or a road/drive thru anything with pedal down, the brake light will come on in no time. If I let up on brake and go, the brakes are still actually holding and the pedal releases back real slow. It reminds me of the no vac, but I am wondering about the booster. Any ideas. If I bump it to neutral and touch the throttle, all seems to get better.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
There is a test for the vac pump in CDNSARGUY's gallery. It's two pages but they are not next to each other.

When you press the pedal, do you hear any whooshing noise? If so that's the diaphragm in the booster. Loss of vacum, is usually associated with a VERY hard to push pedal. Like back in the days of 4 wheel drum brakes.

·
Registered
10,716 Posts
ZWhen my brake pedal was slow to return (and it seemed to almost suck down towards the floor) on my 94, it was the brake booster. Cheers!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll check it. The way you are talking about ir going to the floor, that is what it is. is there a way to test the booster or just replace???

·
Registered
10,716 Posts
Other than disconnecting the vacuum line to it and pulling a vacuum on it and see if it holds, that would be all I can think of (I just replaced mine). Cheers!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a link to the gallery of CDNSARGUY. I cannot seem to find it

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I am on my phone right now. Go to the upper tool bar and click on gallery's. then click on members gallery and then "C". You may have to look through the C's.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I checked everything out today and followed the test that I was shown and all comes back OK. :thumbsup: On the test sheet it says if certain things happen, check the hydraulic system. So, anyone have any thoughts on what might be doing that?. This morning when I moved the truck, the pedal was hard, ans came up real slow. If I push pedal down and hold, the brake light will come on. :icon_mad: The master cylinder is full. I was told be a neighbor yesterday that he thinks something is froze up in the system where there is metal to metal and that is causing the problem. Thoughts??

I hate to tear everything apart and find out it was really something else?

Thanks in advance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts