The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first diesel I've had it for 2 years haven't had to change any electrical parts or sensors. its a 1995 7.3 powerstroke automatic i was at a fishing tournament 3 hrs away the day we were leaving I started my truck that morning and it cranked up really rough so i shut it off and cranked it again it started right up drove it around the parking lot drove perfect finished packing up to leave got on the interstate drove perfect for about 45 miles on the interstate i was going 65 mph and it lost power for about a second kept driving trying to get off at the next exit and it ran perfect for about a mile then died pulled over and parked it the engine light was on then went off so i cranked it it started fine drove fine to the nearest gas station then died in idle when i pulled in then i checked the oil, fuel bowl both clean i grabbed some transmission fluid put it in the fuel turned the key started up fine sounded fine drove it down the road about a mile then turned around and it kinda hiccuped the power drove about 20 feet died again and would crank idle for 5-10 seconds and die seems like a CPS or a IDM i just replaced the HPOP and lift pump also i have a mixture of fuel and oil leaking from the valley of the motor which just started what do yall think it is?

·
Registered
127 Posts
When you say just replaced the lift pump, you mean fuel lift pump right? For the fueI leak I have had the banjo bolt not get tightened enough in the past and also if you did not replace the three fuel lines or hose clamps they could be the problem too, hoses could be brittle or hose clamps striped, fuel bowl could be leaking too. You need to get the engine code read too. I good scanner (like a Snap On or such) will read a previous CEL stored in memory. Whats up with the trans fluid in the fuel? Did you add it directly to the fuel filter or the tank? If in the tank it would not immediately do anything. I have heard of doing it but there are much better options that are designed for our engines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I suggest its crankshaft timing sensor is going bad. They usually don't go completely bad at once and shut off, they seem to go bad intermittently. Sometimes if your vehicle is sitting at a stop light it will stall/cutoff, but it will restart right away. Or if it stalls/cutouts at a light it may take 30 to 60 seconds before it restarts. If you are traveling down the road or on the freeway and your timing sensor cuts out sometimes it might be for a fraction of a second, but keep then keep running. At speed the cut out might be a single or several in a row. Your vehicle really feel a jolt when it cuts out at freeway speed. Also at speed it is also possible to feel a failing sensor like a loss of power loss where you have to pull off the road. After a few minuets of sitting with the engine off your vehicle may restart and have no further issues the rest of the day. It seems like it a fuel issue but on the 7.3 its typically your timing sensor. You need to replace it. Its not all that hard to do. You'll see it right next to spinning crank shaft damper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well on the road sometimes you can get bad fuel and what’s in transmission fluid is a few of the most basic fuel components for diesel yes you can buy better stuff but I was in the middle of no where so that was the best option I think you’re right about the banjo bolt when I replaced the fuel lift pump it was extremely difficult to get to the bolt I’ll have to dry it up and see where the fuel is leaking from, I do know the CPS sensor typically makes the motor die when you slow down to a stop light but I was going 65 when it killed

·
Registered
127 Posts
On the banjo bolt make sure that you got the seals on both sides, it is easy for the one on the fuel pump side to fall off when starting the treads. I just did mine a couple of months ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts