The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm in a difficult spot.
I have a 1995 F350 7.3. She was leaking fuel something fierce and it was all but impossible to identify where it was coming from (past owner did a LOT of mudding and there was 2 inches of dirt in the valley.

Having never done it before...I decided to undertake the replacement of the fuel pump. Boy Oh Boy what a $%&^'ing job...whew weee.

I get the valley completely clean. Got everything torn apart, removed and ready to get her put back together and I find that the new fuel lines I have seem to be too small in diameter.

I bought a new fuel pump and it came with about a foot of 5/16 high pressure fuel hose, but I'll be danged if I can get it over the fuel line outlets of the pump.

Does anyone out there know what size/diameter fuel hose I need to be using for the replacement?

Will the same size hose work for all the fuel line connections under the hood or are there multiple sizes of hose involved.

It's Sunday morning at 7:22 am...I'm hoping to get her back together today so I can go to work tomorrow so any useful information would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
There are two sizes needed: 5/16" and 3/8". Make sure you use the high pressure fuel injection hose. If you felt like buying the precut stuff from Ford (more expensive) here are the part numbers:

Fuel PumpHoses
(Ford) F4TZ-9324-BA (Black Hose, 1 required)
(Ford) F4TZ-9324-CA (Longer Blue Hose, 1 required)
(Ford) F4TZ-9324-DA (Shorter Blue Hose, 2 required)

Cheers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are two sizes needed: 5/16" and 3/8". Make sure you use the high pressure fuel injection hose. If you felt like buying the precut stuff from Ford (more expensive) here are the part numbers:

Fuel PumpHoses

Cheers!

You my friend are the MAN!! I appreciate your speedy reply. Now I know what I need to get to get'er done. NAPA here I come!!! Take it easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

Fuel PumpHoses

Cheers!
Another question that likely shows my lack of experience...

I've read and been told "High Pressure Fuel Line" or as you've mentioned "fuel injection hose" which is generally high(er) pressure, but the hose clamps for all of the 4 or 5 different lines are just regular'ol clamps, nothing 'high pressure' about'em. I got all new ones of the same style, but I got steel clamps rather than the cheapie aluminum clamps. I have an inch lbs torque wrench too.

Would you happen know how many inch lbs of torque would be appropriate for those regular style hose clamps on these high(er) pressure fuel lines? Something that would ensure a snug leak free fit, but not damage or break anything.

Thanks in advance for reading.

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
I wouldn't have a clue on that one. I just use the regular worm gear type clamps and tighten by hand. Cheers!

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Most any auto parts store will sell you a clamp assortment that includes the fancy "fuel line" clamps which have a machine screw and nut in them for about five bucks. I find they work better on small size fittings than worm gears, because the worm gear clamps have to curve tightly and the worm gear only engages one slot in the belt at that point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most any auto parts store will sell you a clamp assortment that includes the fancy "fuel line" clamps which have a machine screw and nut in them for about five bucks. I find they work better on small size fittings than worm gears, because the worm gear clamps have to curve tightly and the worm gear only engages one slot in the belt at that point.

Yep...you're spot on. I used hose clamps and after I got it all back together, the blasted thing was leaking worse than it was before I started the job and it was because of those cheezy little hose clamps. I would strip the worm gear inside them before they got tight enough to actually seal the line.

I ended up taking some of it back apart and got injector clamps, just like you said and they allowed me to torque down tighter and after about 50 miles, the valley on the engine is dry as a bone!!!

Yee Haw!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey chiming into this thread that's almost ten years old but here it goes. I have a 92 F250 with a 7.3l Diesel. The fuel switchover valve broke and I am thinking of bypassing it all together and only using the rear tank. Does anyone know if I could connect a soft line to the rear tank fuel line right before it enters the switchover? Or will this not work since that is a hard line? Is the line 5/16? Thanks for an insight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey chiming into this thread that's almost ten years old but here it goes. I have a 92 F250 with a 7.3l Diesel. The fuel switchover valve broke and I am thinking of bypassing it all together and only using the rear tank. Does anyone know if I could connect a soft line to the rear tank fuel line right before it enters the switchover? Or will this not work since that is a hard line? Is the line 5/16? Thanks for an insight.
you ever figure it out ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts