The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 1995 7.3 f250 on craigslist for 3500 4x4, here is the description

95 7.3 236k 4x4 auto locking hubs reverse needs to be fix in the trams forward gears still work excellent it has a cold air intake a batwing turbo spindle a 6 position ta flip chip 8 inch exhaust stack power windows power. what do you guys think the problem is.:ford:

·
Premium Member
9,667 Posts
Is it a automatic or a 5 speed, with auto hubs I would be willing to bet that it is a automatic. A rebuild is going to cost $2500+ and for a rebuild that you wont break is $3000+. I personally wouldn't offer more than $2000 for it. If the transmission has been neglected to where it lost reverse what else did he neglect?

Check out this, Buying Adivse

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My diesel mechanic instructor at my school has the powerstroke scan laptop or whatever would that do anything?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
With a 6 position chip, 8" stacks and a busted tranny, I'd just walk away. The poor thing sounds like it could be a money pit. Never heard of a "batwing" turbo. If you want to ask, I'd ask what the guy was doing when it lost reverse. Guess you could scan it and see what you can find.
AaronSEIA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive never heard of a batwing turbo either,i asked what happened when it lost reverse he said it just went out

·
Premium Member
9,667 Posts
A truck with a 6 position chip, and a large stack with a gear not working are red flags that possibly that the truck was beat on.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Sounds like a "leave it alone" special.
As far as the hubs: My pickup had the auto hubs (5 spd equipped). After blowing the 2nd set out, figured out just how they work. When you have to "rock" it to get loose in snow, they go lock-unlock-lock; the power combined with the weight is death on them.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I wouldn't just walk away from that truck, I'd RUN.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts