The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and have been researching alot but am still at a loss.. I am just about ready to have the junk yard tow this off if I can't get it running. --- Here's the short and sweet.. I bought a 1995 Ford E-350 ambulance medtec conver. (mistake 1) it has a 7.3l turbo diesel in it. (mistake 2 because I know very little about diesels) it ran fine for about 3 months now it's growing weeds in my yard.. here is what I'm facing - When I would be going down the road and stop at a light or stop sign it would start running rough and then die would not start again for about an hour. tried the simple stuff like the water drain, replaced filters, changed out gas nothing seemed to help. Then tried a few of the harder things like replaced valve gaskets with wire connectors, (a pain in the butt in this van) replaced battery cables. well in trying to fix this problem another came up the engine won't start now. When I put the key in and turn it to the "wait to start" mode I get alot of clicking my gauges go nutts and nothing happens. I have two brand new optima blue tops cracking this. I'm just a loss. I had a tech come take a look at this but the minute he saw it was an ambulance ran for the hills. (doesn't give me a good feeling.) So now I'm stuck doing this on my own. I have thought about ripping all the ambulance wiring out andjust installing a painless wiring harness in with stock wiring for a ford e-350 but can't seem to find one.

So there it is any help with any of this would be great otherwise someone at the junk yard is going to be very happy.

Thanks!!!!

P.S. yes I'm a girl trying to do all this...:lol:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Where are you located? I just did the ambulance conversion to a reg truck on a F450. There are a lot of wires that are not necessary for a normal vehicle. Different conversion companies convert these differently. The 450 add on wireing was plainly labeled. First, find out the name of the body builder and call them for a wiring diagram and with this you should be able to trace the problems you are having. Good luck!!
Does it have the rear leaf springs???
Foxman

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to the forum and have been researching alot but am still at a loss.. I am just about ready to have the junk yard tow this off if I can't get it running. --- Here's the short and sweet.. I bought a 1995 Ford E-350 ambulance medtec conver. (mistake 1) it has a 7.3l turbo diesel in it. (mistake 2 because I know very little about diesels) it ran fine for about 3 months now it's growing weeds in my yard.. here is what I'm facing - When I would be going down the road and stop at a light or stop sign it would start running rough and then die would not start again for about an hour. tried the simple stuff like the water drain, replaced filters, changed out gas nothing seemed to help. Then tried a few of the harder things like replaced valve gaskets with wire connectors, (a pain in the butt in this van) replaced battery cables. well in trying to fix this problem another came up the engine won't start now. When I put the key in and turn it to the "wait to start" mode I get alot of clicking my gauges go nutts and nothing happens. I have two brand new optima blue tops cracking this. I'm just a loss. I had a tech come take a look at this but the minute he saw it was an ambulance ran for the hills. (doesn't give me a good feeling.) So now I'm stuck doing this on my own. I have thought about ripping all the ambulance wiring out andjust installing a painless wiring harness in with stock wiring for a ford e-350 but can't seem to find one.

So there it is any help with any of this would be great otherwise someone at the junk yard is going to be very happy.

Thanks!!!!

P.S. yes I'm a girl trying to do all this...:lol:
I had a 93 non-turbo 7.3 acting the same way, as far as not starting and making the gauges act up. Turned out the starter had an intermittent short in it. New starter fixed it all. You might want to pull your starter and get it checked out.

Just a thought. Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm in Florida.. I called Medtec the company that did the conversion and they sent me a book but it's not helping much. Like you said I'm just going to rip out all the wiring and start over but would like to find a wiring diagram for the Ford E-350 tubro diesel so I don't rip out the factory wiring by mistake. Someone got ahold of this van before me and has made a complete mess of the wiring.

I have the front and rear spring lift this van has the option of being a dully, with a one ton suspension. That was why I got it to haul all my dive gear around in.

As for the starter, I tried that as well have a brand new starter on it still won't crank. Gauges still going nutts.

Thanks for all the replies.....Any other ideas would be wonderful!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sometimes the DIY route is not the way to go. You have spent a lot of money with no result. Why don't you try a dealer?

Because a dealer cost way too much for me right now... Plus I have called the Ford dealers in my area and they have told me no go because of the conversion on it. Plus I'm one of these that is really hardheaded and want to fix it myself. But thank you for the suggestion..

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Because a dealer cost way too much for me right now... Plus I have called the Ford dealers in my area and they have told me no go because of the conversion on it. Plus I'm one of these that is really hardheaded and want to fix it myself. But thank you for the suggestion..

What you have already spent on guessing and replacing parts that did not need to be replaced could have been spent on a good diagnostic somewhere. I have a hard tome believing that a dealer turned you away for a drivability issue when you have a "conversion".

I have 6 cube vans, all "converted", never had a dealer turn me away for anything.

Let us know how much money you blow on parts changing when you finally get it running! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
any codes? how recent has the oil been changed? the box should not have anything to do with the running of the engine. pm me with email address. i should have wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My '96 E350 bus had a second solenoid tucked up under somewhere. Has the CPS been changed to fix the dying problem? Common...and easy, if you get it started.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
the box should not have anything to do with the running of the engine.
Sometimes they will as they will put a cut out for fuel tied to a particular door opening or for access to power in the back while operating with the engine running on the AIC. Had a few strange things happen with my Goshen coach.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My '96 E350 bus had a second solenoid tucked up under somewhere. Has the CPS been changed to fix the dying problem? Common...and easy, if you get it started.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try looking for the second solenoid. I had bought a CPS for the stalling problem but never got to install it before the starting problem happened. So that will be the next thing I try after I get to the point of starting.

"any codes? how recent has the oil been changed? the box should not have anything to do with the running of the engine. pm me with email address. i should have wiring diagrams. "

Oil was changed two weeks before the starting problem, it still stalled. I believe that wiring may have something to do with it because someone, before me, just started cutting the ambulance wiring and left it laying around some of the wires still have current to them. So at this point I have decided that bypassing or taking out the ambulance wiring and going back to just factory wiring will be a start. If I get it running then I can go back later and add lights, ac, ect. as I need or want them.

"Sometimes they will as they will put a cut out for fuel tied to a particular door opening or for access to power in the back while operating with the engine running on the AIC. Had a few strange things happen with my Goshen coach."

Thanks for the info I will look and see if that is the case. If so that will help.

I want to thank everyone who has suggested things for me to try. I know now that this is going to be a long project but I will keep you posted and let you know if I find the problems. If you have any other suggestions I am open to them since I'm going to have the front of the van off and the front part of the motor off changing the CPS might as well throw the kitchen sink at it too... :lol: Well maybe the bathroom sink since I'm remodeling the bathroom.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You won't have to do any of that to get the CPS replaced. Just look on the passenger side of the balancer and its right there. Have a 10mm socket with you. You'll wish you had brought it when you realize how easy it is to replace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You won't have to do any of that to get the CPS replaced. Just look on the passenger side of the balancer and its right there. Have a 10mm socket with you. You'll wish you had brought it when you realize how easy it is to replace.

Duh I'm a blonde... Thanks.... I try to make everything harder then it is... you know us girls nothing ever the simple way....:icon_wink:

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Wiring diagrams sent. If you need more than what I sent you, let me know what you need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wiring diagrams sent. If you need more than what I sent you, let me know what you need.
By any chance, would you have a wiring diagram for a 1999 E350 with a Wheeled Coach ambulance box on it (fully functional)? I contacted Wheeled Coach and they don't have any diagrams for one that age. I have a charging issue. After spending $940 to have two new alternators put on to replace the old ones, the problem remains. After a full charge, the two batteries in the ambulance plus the one in the cab die after a day and a half, even while it is plugged into power with the 20amp shore connection.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
litmouse, Ambulances get torn apart some in the process of being "decomissioned" when they usually quickly remove sirens, lights, signage, as well as other expensive reusable items like compressors, inverters, etc. Depending on mileage and condition, your ambo could be a great dive rig. As far as hard headed goes, it could get you killed while diving but with a huge diesel in a tight van engine bay, it will leave you mostly frustrated. Unless someone started parting it out, most of what's removed would be from accessory circuits. Make sure your batteries are fully charged, start with new Ford fuel filter, air, oil, etc. Is there a check engine light on? If you are anywhere near Ocala, I would highly recommend saving yourself some time and expensive diagnostic computer programs by taking it to the mechanic Mark suggested ^^^. Mark is a very knowledgeable Ford guy, so if he says someone is good, they are. Don't worry, since it is an ambulance, you will still have tons of work to do yourself after it starts and runs! An ambulance is a huge lawn ornament broken down! Also, you will not find as much restoration or aftermarket equipment for it like you would for a 1/2 ton pickup, so be careful what you tear out.
Here is a valuable thread on ambulance conversions by guys who have done it right: Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ - Expedition Portal
Hope that helps!

·
Super Moderator
12,174 Posts
If you are anywhere near Ocala, I would highly recommend saving yourself some time and expensive diagnostic computer programs by taking it to the mechanic Mark suggested
StockKnocker, that's all good advice, but I doubt litmouse27 has been waiting 7 years for it. In fact, she hasn't been on this site at all since July 30, 2009.

Reactions: StockKnocker

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
StockKnocker, that's all good advice, but I doubt litmouse27 has been waiting 7 years for it. In fact, she hasn't been on this site at all since July 30, 2009.
Thanks Mark, I didn't realize the post was old but came back up when someone else replied to it now! At any rate, the link is good info for others who stumble upon it and are considering converting an ambulance! Cheers!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Pukuja, What state are you in? I know in Ft Lauderdale there is an auto electric shop that specializes in elec problems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts