The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
By any chance, would you have a wiring diagram for a 1999 E350 with a Wheeled Coach ambulance box on it (fully functional)? I contacted Wheeled Coach and they don't have any diagrams for one that age. I have a charging issue. After spending $940 to have two new alternators put on to replace the old ones, the problem remains. After a full charge, the two batteries in the ambulance plus the one in the cab die after a day and a half, even while it is plugged into power with the 20amp shore connection.
pukuja, FYI, the shore power probably only powers the house batteries, not the starting batteries, unless there's an isolator switch on it. Check all locations where lights, sirens, switches were removed first and eliminate any of those possible problems. What are the chances that 2 separate alternators would die at the same time? Finding and correcting electrical problems on a decommisioned ambulance takes time and diligence! Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1999 E350 Super Duty, Wheeled Coach, 7.3L diesel that has a charging problem. In your case, it is dying when you pull up to a stop. This could either be fuel-starvation, possible plugged fuel filter, computer issue, or a ground issue with the transmission to block. If I was thinking old school, gas engines, that is what I would start with.

In my case, I cannot get the shop that replaced the dual alternator set up to understand that they needed to check out the charging system through the shore connection through to the batteries. Such dunderheads. If I knew what to look for, I would just do it myself for a whole lot less money. I may have to travel out of state to the Wheeled Coach dealer in Oregon (I am in Washington State) and pay big bucks for them to determine what is wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To Stocknocker:
All lights and siren are still functional. Only one battery up front and two in the box. No isolator. When it goes dead, all 3 batteries go dead. I talked to Wheeled Coach yesterday and the service manager thinks the charge circuit in the Vanner inverter might be bad or has a blown fuse or needs to be reset. I have a spare Vanner that I am going to try and see if that solves the issue. Would still love to get wiring diagrams if you have them.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
To Stocknocker:
All lights and siren are still functional. Only one battery up front and two in the box. No isolator. When it goes dead, all 3 batteries go dead. I talked to Wheeled Coach yesterday and the service manager thinks the charge circuit in the Vanner inverter might be bad or has a blown fuse or needs to be reset. I have a spare Vanner that I am going to try and see if that solves the issue. Would still love to get wiring diagrams if you have them.
Pukuja, I own a 2003 7.3 diesel E-350, but it is not an ambulance. I highly recommend using the link I posted above to contact other Wheeled Coach owners. Each ambulance conversion company uses different wiring, components, and methods. If your ambulance has only one battery under hood (and none on passenger side frame rail) I would recommend testing that battery and replacing if necessary. If three are connected but one or more are no good, the bad ones will draw down the good. If you can find bad ones maybe you can put a quick disconnect in if necessary to isolate the engine from the ambulance box. That's the best I can help you without seeing or testing it myself. Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am not aware of any other batteries under the hood. All 3 batteries were replaced less than 3 years ago and all check out fine. I talked to the Wheeled Coach repair shop in Oregon and the service manager thinks that the Vanner 20-1050cul inverter has an issue with the charge circuit. I have a second one but the wires were all cut by the seller. I am going to rob the power wire from the old inverter and try it on the new one.

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
North East Auto and Truck Service
2140 NE 36th Ave Suite 300-1, Ocala, FL 34470

Reactions: Bullet 7.62
21 - 28 of 28 Posts