The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not new to Diesel have had a Dodge Diesel since 2002 have over 250,000 on it. Just got a 1995 Ford that has been sitting for at least 5 years. The fuel in it will run in my dodge diesel. So, I have replaced the batteries and changed oil, replaced glow plugs, changed fuel filter in bowl, Starter will crank over engine. The Ford ran to the place it was parked and had been run most every day before then. Problem; Fuel bowl will not fill. (Tach moves when cranked) the wait to start light works as well. Fuel gauge responds when change tanks. Since both pumps fail to respond is there a fuse or relay that controls both? Any other items I need to look at?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
No. No electric pump. It's one mechanical pump in the valley behind the filter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I did not crank the engine, my other Diesel uses electric lift pump. will try that this afternoon. While asking, is there a place to download a FSM?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bowl fills with engine cranked. so took out pressure test valve and fuel there as well. Opened the lines coming out of pressure regulator and I am getting fuel there as well. Still acts as if it is not getting fuel. Reason it was parked was an accident that caved the right side of the bed.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Probably still air in the system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
Check the high pressure oil reservoir on the top front of the engine. There is a plug that you can remove to see what the level is. It should be within 1/2" of the top. With it sitting that long it may of drained down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Priming fuel lines tomorrow. Took and drained the fuel out of everything. The High pressure Oil reservoir is almost empty also part of tomorrows project.

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
If the reservoir is almost empty that could be the problem. These trucks use high pressure oil to fire the injectors so if it is depleted the injectors will not fire.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
^^^^^ +1; for now, just fill the res and see if that gets it to start. You'll be changing the oil post haste anyway. Normally, the HPO res draining back is an issue, but it's had five years to drain back, so that shouldn't be a surprise. If it continues to drain back, then it's something to address.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts