The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bad and let my truck sit for a couple months, then realized that an interior light had come on and drained the recently replaced batteries. Alternator is also new. Was running great prior to my neglect. I've tried to jump start it and it will almost turn over, but not quite. Help! Is there a spray that will help it start? I know it has a block heater but can't remember where and don't see an obvious plug. Where would it be? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,598 Posts
Are your batteries fully charged?

The block heater cord starts just above the oil filter and should go towards the drivers side of the front bumper, the glow plugs and relay should also be checked. DO NOT USE ANY STARTING FLUID

You can also check the high pressure oil pump and see what the level of the oil is in it. It is located on the top front of the engine and has a plug on it that you can use a allen wrench to get into it. The oil should be within a 1/2" of the top. If you have been cranking the engine over it may of drained down.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
If the batteries have been sitting for a while in a discharged state, you might want to have them checked to make sure they haven't sulfated. If they are still OK, put a good charge on them and then try to start. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You can use starting fluid but you MUST unplug the glowplug relay before you use it. Either one of the smaller wires will keep it from working. Helps if someone is there to give it a small shot while you are cranking. Better option would be what others have said. Charge (not just jump) the batteries and have them tested. Block heater is on the drivers side. It is located near the oil filter base, so if you crawl under you should see it and the cord. If no cord, you can buy replacement ones. It takes a LOT of juice to run the glowplugs and spin her over. Batteries have to be top notch fully charged.
AaronSEIA

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
If someone is going to suggest starter fluid then the message really should also describe exactly what can happen to the engine if just a tad too much is used and how much the resultsnt damage will cost. Then let the OP decide if its a risk they want to take. I personally won't use starting fluid in a diesel...instead, I will fix the underlying issue.

Patrick Feeley described your problem--your batteries are in too drained of a state of discharge. They need to have a charger put on them atleast overnight and maybe a full 24 hours.

If you are in Santa Barbara then the following should not be a concern BUT in colder regions, deeply discharged batteries can freeze while in their discharged state and no attempt should be made at charging them in the vehicle. Its important to remove them from the vehicle and visually inspect the cases--if they froze then the battery casing will have expanded (swelled) and possibly cracked. No attempt should be made to charge batteries that have frozen or swollen because internal damage has often occured. But if your truck is in Santa Barbara then no worries :winking:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm having the same problem my truck will not start. My wait to start light will not come on no blowed fuses I've replaced idm and pcm no luck. Getting fuel to bowl but injectors not firing spinning over fine just not smoking or anything

·
Premium Member
9,598 Posts
I'm having the same problem my truck will not start. My wait to start light will not come on no blowed fuses I've replaced idm and pcm no luck. Getting fuel to bowl but injectors not firing spinning over fine just not smoking or anything
If you don't have a wts light usually means that there is no power to the PCM.

How did you check the fuses, with a meter or just look at them?

Check the power on fuse #22, and #9 under the hood. If both of them are good swap the top and bottom relays in the fuse box.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I checked volts going to pcm and I have 12volts going to all the black and white wires like I read and I checked a brown and white wire and it said I have five volts like i shouldd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts