The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My just bought 96 f250 power stroke 7.3 was down shifting on Hwy a then started acting like out of fuel barely made it to fuel up then limped home . Only started with shot of starting fluid barely idled no revving up with pedal like no power there . Glow plug solenoid shows bad no power to passenger side vcg plugs no burnt smell . what can cause problems with ALL of this together . truck had been sitting 1 1/2 years when I bought it but ran super for the first week now it's down . please any ideas ?? Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
sounds like you are having a IDM issue, or a ground issue, verify all your grounds, and if nothing noticeable, see if a friend has a idm you can try real fast and verify then follow up.

·
Premium Member
9,210 Posts
Get a ohm meter and do the test that are referenced in this post.

As a fyi, the IDM will shut down a whole bank of injectors it it notices a problem with the wiring such as grounds or shorts. The pass through connectors on the valve covers have a habit of burning due to the high amperage that the glow plugs draw. Once they start burning out they will cause shorts and grounds to the other pins in the connectors. If you pull the connectors I would wager that you will see burnt pins in each one. There are two on each valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The #5 pin on back vch passenger side looks burnt as well as the #5 spot on plug coming from idm. Isn't # 5 for the glow plug ? Which I read can and will short out injector wires when this happens. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,769 Posts
Yes, that would be for the glowplug. If that wire "melted into" the adjacent injector wire and shorted somewhere (could happen on the external side or under the valvecover) it would cause the entire bank to shut down. At this point you would replace the external connector with a pigtail, keeping the wires in the same order. I would cut, splice, solder, and heatshrink each wire connection one wire at a time so that you keep the order the same. You can get a connector shell repair kit and pins to redo it, but almost no one does that. You will also need to replace the valvecover gasket and possibly the Under ValveCover Harness (UVCH) if anything looks scorched/melted etc. on that side. Now days, some aftermarket gaskets (i.e. Dorman) come with the UVCHs integral (built-in) to the gasket. They are adequate if your budget dictates that you go that direction, but they have been known sometimes to have wires crossed. (I have used one in the past without issue). I do prefer factory parts if I can get them. Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much . I have pulled valve cover and it does smell burnt . the back uvc plug was burnt to point of trying to disconnect it the locking part crumbled off . . I only paid :$750 for the truck so putting $$ into it is expected . great looking truck no dents . had thought of selling but it ran very good till that day . thank you all again

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I put the Dorman VCGs on mine a few months ago with integral UVCHs, and they seem to be doing fine. The lifetime warranty was at least as important in my decision as the price.

(click this text)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts