The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My sons 96 f350 7.3 power stroke starts up, runs like new until he goes a few miles. Then it bogs down and acts like it ran out of fuel. He has replaced the fuel pump and it did the same thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
started the truck this morning and left it idling for about an hour with no problems. Took it on a test run and about a mile it gave a puff of white smoke and began to bog down. Stalled and will not restart. Did have a faint electrical smell after it stalled this time.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
What weight of oil are you running and when was it's last change?

Also do you have access to a scan tool that will read Fords live data? These tools are usually higher end for the backyard mechanic but most shops should have one.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
What does the fuel look like in the filter housing? Does it look like Mountain Dew or does it have a brown to blackish coloring?

Other than that I would suspect the IPR. You can get a rebuild kit for the O rings that it has or a brand new one for under $200. But I hate to just replace parts with out really knowing just what it is.

Here is a link to one from K-Mans Parts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just thought I would throw out these two ideas.
When the truck dies, while cranking on it to start, watch the tachometer.
If the tachometer does not move there is a very good chance there is a CPS problem. Easy cheap fix.
Other thing I wanted to mention was the fuel pick up on the end of the fuel sending unit, they are known to break and fall off, it happened to me.
If my tank was 1/4 or less my truck would run fine until I took a turn, accelerated, or came to a stop because it was sucking air without the pick up on the end of the sender.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
I did replace the IPR in 08. It could have gone again.

That is where you need to get a scan tool onto to it. You can go broke just shotgunning parts at these engines.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok Just had the tech put the scan tool on it. we sorted the codes( which were for the # 3and 5 injector) replaced the valve cover harness. Still doing the same, thing no codes and the live shot showed nothing out of the ordinary when it shut down. Still need help.

Now it will not start

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
At some point you are going to have to get it to a person that has the capability of reading live data from the PCM to determine just what is going on. It might cost a little to get someone to do it but it will save you money in the long run.

Your fuel problem could be a few things. The foot in the tanks, clogged fuel line, bad selector valve, or even the lift pump going out again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts