The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recenlty aqquired a 97 F250 and joined the Forum, it was starting fine it would fire up and run. It set a night without starting and now it just cranks and cranks.... I changed the Glow Plug Relay due to it being broken, after that I tried to start it yet again but still cranks and cranks, I had to take my batteries down to the local parts store so they could charge them, when I drop them back in hopefully it will start but I would like to know if anyone has problems with this before......

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
Are you sure that the relay is working and did you replace the glow plug relan in the center of the engine or the starter relay on the fender? You may also have bad glow plugs that would cause a no start. When the engine is turning over do you get any white smoke out of the tailpipe and is the wait to start light coming on?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure that the relay is working and did you replace the glow plug relan in the center of the engine or the starter relay on the fender? You may also have bad glow plugs that would cause a no start. When the engine is turning over do you get any white smoke out of the tailpipe and is the wait to start light coming on?

Yes I replaced the relay on top of the engine not the starter relay lol.....Yes I get white smoke from the tail pipe and yes the start light is coming on.....I have the batteries dropped back in and still no start just cranking as before???????

·
Registered
238 Posts
is the tach moving at all while cranking ??
If not, you could have a bad cps.

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
Did your truck come with a block heater plug where you can plug it in for a couple of hours before you try to start it? It sounds like you have bad glow plugs. You can test them with a digital volt/ohm meter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I just found the plug connector earlier and plugged it up for a few hours and it fired right up after the 2nd crank, so would the glow plugs be the problem...

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
It sounds like the glow plugs. To test them you will need a digital volt/ohm meter. On each valve cover gasket there are two plugs. Each plug controls 2 glow plugs and 2 injectors. The glow plugs are the two outside pins on each plug. Test the resistance of them with the ohm meter. A good glow plug should be between 0.6 and 2 ohms if I remember right. Anything else should be considered bad. If you replace them yourself or have a shop do it only use Motorcraft/Beau ZD-11 ones which are factory replacement ones.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok on the glow plugs why do I have to use Motorcraft/Beau ZD-11, and is there any fuses for the glow plugs.

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
Other glow plug brands have been known to cause problems such as burning out prematurely, or swelling in the head where you need to pull the head to get them out. On the high current wires for the glow plugs there are fuseable links in the wire but no other fuses. The control wire for the glow plug relay coil is a maxi fuse #22 under the hood which also controls the fuel heater and a few other things.

If you can't find ZD-11 glow plugs locally they are readily available online or Ebay for a reasonable price. About the only auto parts store that carries them is Advance Auto and possibly O'Rilleys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts