The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The truck is a 1997 F350 SRW 4x4 crew cab 5spd 7.3 300k miles.
I have been chasing a rear brake drag issue and have it narrowed down to the parking brake pedal assembly.
I did the rear brakes on the truck a while back and then they started dragging and getting very hot! I figured the cables were sticking so replaced both rears and the front cable, the intermediate cable is in good shape.

I had the drums off trying to see what is going wrong in there and I noticed that when I have the parking brake cables connected and use the parking brake for the first time when I release it the brake shoes are held off the pin about 3/32"-1/8"! It would appear the self adjuster isn't allowing the parking brake levers to fully relax....
If I hold the brake release and reach under the truck pulling on the brake cable I seem to be able to pull the tension out of the auto adjuster but this is a real pain! Every part of the system is new at this point with the exception of the brake pedal assembly.

What am I missing?

How does the self adjuster have more tension on it now or wont release fully?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially since a new pedal assembly is hard to come by....

Thank!

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
The only time I had issues with mine was when I used aftermarket replacement e-brake cables. The outer sheathing cracked and allowed water intrusion (and subsequent corrosion). I replaced them with OEM (which weren't much more $$) and never had another issue. You might check to make sure the cables aren't binding for whatever reason. Cheers!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!
They are all new with less than 100 miles one them...
It’s like something is too short or auto tensioner portion of the pedal mechanism isn’t allowing the cable to relax enough.
When it started it still had the old cables on it. I double checked the new and old and they are the same length.

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
Are you sure that everything is back together as it was when you took it off?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, when I did the brake job I just turned the drums and replaced the shoes & hardware, all the parking brake system was untouched...
The brake drag started before the brake job when I set the parking brake, it made a pop sound and disengaged. It seemed like it held fine when it was reapplied, then it drug causing the need for the brake job. It continued to drag after the brake job prompting the replacement of parking brake cable since they looked original to the truck but those were not my silver bullets...

Ive taken everything off twice and confirmed proper assembly, I am just hoping someone has had this happen and maybe save me from buying what appears to be a $800 replacement parking brake mechanism!!!

Thank you guys for the ideas and input!

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
How is the tension on the cables when you release the brake compared to how it is when the brake is applied?

I can't remember how the cables actually are when the brake is released or if you can adjust them a little to put a very slight amount of slack in them.

I'd check my truck but I am 200 miles away from it right now

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Theres no manual way to adjust the cable tension, when the brake is applied the cable it very taught and when its released its flexible but snug...
I will try to post some pics tomorrow if possible.

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
Here is a video that you might watch. It does mention the emergency brake but doesn't go into depth about it but you may see if you are missing something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts