The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 has at least 300,000 miles on it and probably closer to 400,000.

I was taking trash to the dump last Saturday and was running on the rear tank. I know the gauges aren't real accurate and the tanks will be empty when the gauge reads 1/4 and the rear tank was close to being empty. About a mile from the house it started sounding like it was running out of fuel and I switched to the front tank, but after about a mile it never picked up the fuel and I pulled into a side street. I got my wife to bring me a can of starter fluid and when she cranked up the truck I kept it running with ether thinking it would catch the fuel and I could be on my way. The front tank was reading 1/2 tank and I am sure it has fuel in it. After using the last of the ether I had, I went and got fuel to put in the rear tank thinking maybe something was up with the front tank. I also got another can of ether. I put the fuel in the rear tank, started it up and ran it on ether for another 1/2 can and it neve would stay running on its own.

I had the truck towed to the Ford dealer and they looked at it yesterday. They called and said they were going to have to drop the tanks because the tech thought it was sucking air from somewhere. $1200 to drop both tanks, I told them to just do the rear tank since I knew it had been running well on the rear tank, that was only $800.

They have not called back today with any further information, but I was wondering if any of you may have any foresight as to what may be the problem. I would like to be able to suggest something if they tell me they can't find the problem or if they come up with something that I think may be BS.

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
You could of lost the foot in the tank or a cracked pickup tube

·
Registered
10,626 Posts
This is the "foot" bugman is referring to. They like to disintegrate and when that happens the truck will suck air at around 1/4 tank. The pieces can also cause restrictions in the fuel line and transfer switch. Cheers!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
The pick-up screen is what is being referred to . Sometimes they completely come off but more commonly the bypass valve falls out. It's a relatively simple repair... $800 is REALLY fricken steep for that repair... even at dealer labor rates unless there is something impeding the removal of the tank.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ayuh,..... I just went through this,.... As noted the plastic pickup screen rotted, 'n fell off, leaving a 1/4 tank of fuel, untouchable,.....
Seein's I had to drop the tank to fix it, I did the bronco 33 gallon plastic tank up-grade at the same time,....

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was, indeed, the "foot". At least now I can use all of the fuel in the rear tank. 🙂

1 - 6 of 6 Posts