The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 97 Crewcab Diesel Shortbed, 4x4, Manual. It has 140,000 Miles on her absolutely beautiful truck. My first diesel though wondering if $9500 is a reasonable price for this year. I know the 7.3 is very dependable but it's an older couple that owns the truck so if there are any tips someone can tell me i would appreciate it. Upgrades that are required? I have heard the front axle causes problems and finding a Dana60 would be better? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just bought a 97 F250 with 160,000 miles, it is a 2x4, the truck had a new fuel pump and tranny, auto. Unbelievably clean and maintained with an open wallet. Everything was working properly. It was from the original owner with service records and owners manuals, it is an extended cab. Lots of extras, mats, split rear window, brake controller, hitch and fifth wheel hitch, bed liner and aluminium bed rails and more. I paid 7,000. I also put in another 2000 for gauges, Bilsteins, Tymar exhaust etc. I would have prefered a crew cab and a manual. You could eat off any part of the truck.
There is a huge amount of junk out there. I looked VERY SERIOUSLY for 3 months.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If the truck is clean and mechanicaly sound I would think that is a fair price. IMHO the CCSB 4x4 are the most desireable and becoming pretty rare as they were only offered in 96 and 97 as F250's. If I could find one in great condition with that low of miles near me i would snatch it up in a heartbeat for $9500. The front ends on the 250 4x4 are a little finiky, but the D60 swap is fairly simple and won't set you back too much. ($1500-$2000).

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have one

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New F-350

I can't believe it still seems to good to be true, but i'm selling my 08 silverado for 23,500 and someone called to ask about it and asked why I was selling it. Of course i told him because i found the 97 F-250 CC Diesel Manual. He replies with my dad is selling a 97 F-350! CC Diesel Shortbed Stick 4x4. with only 40,000 miles for $12,000. Wish me luck!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I can't believe it still seems to good to be true, but i'm selling my 08 silverado for 23,500 and someone called to ask about it and asked why I was selling it. Of course i told him because i found the 97 F-250 CC Diesel Manual. He replies with my dad is selling a 97 F-350! CC Diesel Shortbed Stick 4x4. with only 40,000 miles for $12,000. Wish me luck!!!!!!!
You won't find a F350 shortbed anything in 1997 as they didn't make a shortbed in the F350 until later years. However the manual part sounds great. Maybe a F350CC longbed with a 5sp manual would be to your liking. Probably the nicest setup ever. Shortbed is useless as tits on a boar.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ronkz, your write it was a long bed, so i'm going to go with the F250 but trying to find parts seems hard. Are they interchangeable between the 1997 F350 and F250? I'm looking for interior stuff and just cosmetic type things. Thanks for any replys in advance.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Ronkz, your write it was a long bed, so i'm going to go with the F250 but trying to find parts seems hard. Are they interchangeable between the 1997 F350 and F250? I'm looking for interior stuff and just cosmetic type things. Thanks for any replys in advance.
Except for the front axle & bed length, the parts are all interchangeable.
There may be a few exceptions, but I can't think of any! In fact, I normally say I have a 1997 F350 because most of time the parts guys
try to give me parts for a 97 F250 light duty.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And a lot of people keep talking about the reverse shackle kit. I have already looked into getting a dana 60 front axle to fix the problems with the dana 50? that i think it has. But the truck already has a 4" lift does the reverse shackle kit have to get done to both the front and rear axles? sorry this may be a dumb questions but this is going to be my first diesel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought a 1996 F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 5sp with 250,000 miles for $2700. When I test drove the truck it had a vibration at 65-75 mph when I let off the fuel pedal, got the truck home and found 4 bolts loose on the drive shaft between the transfer case and u-joint, tightened the 4 bolts up and test drove, no more vibration....the only thing on the truck that does not work is the electric door locks. Pic in avatar

·
Registered
882 Posts
And a lot of people keep talking about the reverse shackle kit. I have already looked into getting a dana 60 front axle to fix the problems with the dana 50? that i think it has. But the truck already has a 4" lift does the reverse shackle kit have to get done to both the front and rear axles? sorry this may be a dumb questions but this is going to be my first diesel.
The RSK is for the front, and it is available from a couple of sources. Sky
Manufacturing sells a 3" and a 5" kit. I think ORU sells a 3" kit.
Member Caryt (CT Performance) has just about everything you need, including lot's of good advice, for your D60 project.

·
Registered
1 Posts
97 f250 212x help!!

Im look at a 97 f250 4x4 7.3 powerstroke with 212x its got no rust reg cab long bedand it has a dana 60 upfront an has a shift kit for tranny , getting it for 7200 , wonderin if thats a fair price?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts