The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 F-250 HD
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The long post and wing nut for mounting the spare under the bed are missing on my 1997

The mechanic says that they called the dealer and Ford no longer sells this particular part

Anyone know where I can get replacement parts for the spare tire mounting hardware these days?

·
Premium Member
9,458 Posts
Junk yard.

There was a write up years ago about a member making a H frame out of square tubing to bolt to the frame under the rear tank and then using a crank up winch off of a Super Duty.

Reactions: combatvolcano

·
Registered
97 F-250 HD
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bugman, by the way, if anyone has an extra at a reasonable price...

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The long post and wing nut for mounting the spare...
Anyone know where I can get replacement parts for the spare tire mounting hardware these days?
JY

I might have some, but I've always hated that configuration because the spare has to be lifted over the center bolt; or the keeper nut gets ruined, which lets the bolt fall out & spin. So I did this on my '93, and it's MUCH easier to R&I the spare:

(click this text)

·
Registered
97 F-250 HD
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
JY

I might have some, but I've always hated that configuration because the spare has to be lifted over the center bolt; or the keeper nut gets ruined, which lets the bolt fall out & spin. So I did this on my '93, and it's MUCH easier to R&I the spare:

(click this text)
I'll take whatever I can find and buy that will install the spare, desperate to get it out of the bed, but unfortunately I don't have the shop needed to build such a thing.

Is the original bolt an M10??? knowing that might help find something at fastenal

If anyone could help me get this fixed up, original or otherwise, I would gladly buy them several cases of beer

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
...I don't have the shop needed to build such a thing.
It doesn't take a shop - just a hacksaw & a drill would get it done in a few minutes. Cut a scrap of material to span the original tray, where I welded the square tube as the new crossbar. You could screw down a flat plate. Then drill another scrap so it would slide down the bolt, and run a nut or 2 down to hold it at the bottom so it can't spin. Then bend that into a hook under the bolt head so it will hook the crossbar. You might also need to trim the top of the bolt so it doesn't touch the gas tank.

These would also be easy to make, if you can't find something used or aftermarket:

(click this text)

This is another possibility, if you can find or make one:

(click this text)

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Not a criticism here, but without knowing the ability of someone I would be really hesitant in recommending they build a spare tire carrier that isn’t comfortable with fabricating, whether with a shop or without, the last thing I would want is a spare tire to come bouncing out from under a truck towards me or other traffic. Those of us that do a lot of fabricating forget how easy we make it look to someone just looking on. I see it all the time.

·
Registered
97 F-250 HD
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesn't take a shop - just a hacksaw & a drill would get it done in a few minutes. Cut a scrap of material to span the original tray, where I welded the square tube as the new crossbar. You could screw down a flat plate. Then drill another scrap so it would slide down the bolt, and run a nut or 2 down to hold it at the bottom so it can't spin. Then bend that into a hook under the bolt head so it will hook the crossbar. You might also need to trim the top of the bolt so it doesn't touch the gas tank.

These would also be easy to make, if you can't find something used or aftermarket:

(click this text)
Don't have the ability to weld, or anywhere that would let me do it. If I went to a local welder they'd look at me sideways I'm sure? Is it an M10 bolt?

·
Premium Member
9,458 Posts
You can also get just about everything at LMC Truck

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
...recommending they build a spare tire carrier...
I didn't. I only suggested he could modify how the center hold-down attaches to the original carrier. Many people (probably you, too) drive without the center bolt because the tire won't fit out of the carrier when it's stowed. So no matter what the modification to the bolt, it would have zero effect on the safety of the carrier.
Don't have the ability to weld...
The first paragraph of post #6 doesn't involve any welding - just sawing, drilling, & bolting/screwing parts together.
If I went to a local welder they'd look at me sideways I'm sure?
Not if they like doing business. Customers with requests for things that can't be bought commercially are a welder/fabricator's bread & butter.
Is it an M10 bolt?
Yes, that's what the first pic shows.

If you want an original bolt & plastic hold-down knob, with a hardware crimped nut that fits (to replace the useless original speed nut and hold the bolt on the tray), e-mail me thru my profile or PM me your e-mail. This bolt has been sandblasted & cold-galvanized. Or if you want me to build the redesigned parts that will easily attach to your tray without welding, I can do that, too.

Reactions: combatvolcano

·
Registered
97 F-250 HD
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want an original bolt & plastic hold-down knob, with a hardware crimped nut that fits (to replace the useless original speed nut and hold the bolt on the tray), e-mail me thru my profile or PM me your e-mail. This bolt has been sandblasted & cold-galvanized. Or if you want me to build the redesigned parts that will easily attach to your tray without welding, I can do that, too.
Thanks sir you're the best, I started a convo with you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts