The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the Writeup that Initially used for my install.

1994-1997 DIY AIC

I didn't realize the writeup was made for a 1994-1997 Powerstroke until I already had the items purchased and prewired. So here is a writeup on installing this setup on a 1999 Powerstroke.

Here are the items I purchased:

1-Potentiometer 10-turn 2K ohms Newark pt# 3540S-1-202L

2-Single Pole Double Throw Relays Newark pt# 1432868-1

1-Single Pole Single Throw Toggle Radio Shack pt# 275-612

1-Diode Radio Shack pt# 276-1101

Some of the wires on the 1994-1997 Powerstroke are different colors than in the 1999 Powerstroke. So here is a diagram of the correct wires to use for the 1999 Powerstroke. I also installed electrical quick disconnects on each wire leaving the dash and labeled them so I would be able to easily remove my dash.

1999 DIY AIC Diagram

Currently with the Potentiometer set at the lowest setting my idle is around 2,300rmps. To fix this I am planning on installing a 1-4K ohms resistor after the relay and before the Potentiometer to reduce the idle speed. Location is shown in the diagram.

Here is a picture of the Toggle switch and Potentiometer placement on my dash.

Dash Picture

Overall the install was very strait forward and worked on the first try. Once I get the right size resistor installed and dial in a decent idle speed I will post an update of the size to go with.

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
Good job, Jib.

I'm always dumbfounded by automotive electronics, not knowing a relay from a fuse. So I admire folks that can do this stuff. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

"Aerospace Physiology Technician"? Is that what us old guys call a medic? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmokeyWren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good job, Jib.

I'm always dumbfounded by automotive electronics, not knowing a relay from a fuse. So I admire folks that can do this stuff. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

"Aerospace Physiology Technician"? Is that what us old guys call a medic? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif </div></div>

Well, I wouldn't classify myself as a medic although I am under the Medical Group. I work with the Hypobarric chamber and the Centrifuge here at Holloman training pilots and aircrew. So yeah, we usually break people instead of fixing them..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Jib,

I also installed the DIY AIC and have had purdy good luck with it so far. I made a mistake of purchasing a 20k Ohm "single turn" potentiometer and had a lot of resistance spikes and overshoot due to the limited amount of rotation vs. the induced resistance. Currently I am running a 20k single turn pot mounted under the dash, I leave that one permanantly set, for a "rough" RPM setting and use a 20k 20 turn pot mounted on the dash next to my "arming switch" and "armed LED"

The lower guarded switch is for the manual T/C lock...

Pics:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/lakebound4ever/AIC.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/lakebound4ever/UnderdashPOT.jpg

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would like to add a sketch I drew up that I believe represents everything being described in the instructions for most of the DIY AIC's. I only want to add it for anyone out there like me that feels like they need a little more of a visual of how & where the wires need to be cut and attached to the relays & the switch...
If ANYONE sees something wrong with the schematics / photos I post here please feel free to copy & paste into whatever photo edit program you have & make the changes.
I want to point out that I have NOT installed this AIC to my vehicle. And my biggest concern is that I don't have the correct value pots. AND that I am terrified to do this that I might fry my PCM! BUT having read so many posts of guys saying they HAVE messed around with the return signals to the PCM by doing this modification, I think my worries might be excessive. Please , ANYONE that sees something wrong post or edit the sketches to help others out.
There is some language in the TPS explanation that with regards to the pot. values OR how they should be wired that is probably wrong. MY vehicle is a 2003 E-350 & I have not found a chart that lists the oHms values to expected RPM results that say it (the chart) represents specifically that model year (2003 or earlier) . The chart I found IIRC was for a 2006 MY and I don't even recall what engine. This post is just to add some Schematics for others that might be like me & want/need a little bit more to understand what & why all this wire rerouting is about & does. Take a look & tell me what's wrong or right about my Schematics.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts